Gibson Brands Forums

Serial number question

dbarreda

I just got an explorer with the following number: 94007299 - Made in U.S.A.

It looks very authentic, the case, it doesn't come with the Gibson pickups installed (got some EMGs) but on the case there are two Gibson U.S.A. pickups, someone can help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

The serial number looks problematic to me

If I recall correctly:

Digit 1 = decade of manufacture

Digits 2-4 = date of man. (e.g., 032 = 32nd day or Feb. 1st)

Digit 5 = year of manufacture

Digits 6-8 batch number (e.g. 125 = 125th guitar made that day)

This interpretation jives with my Gibsons ranging from '88-'07

Thus, your guitar would have been made in 1997, not 1994, but it was made on the 400th day of the year, which clearly doesn't make sense. So, unless my interpretation is somehow wrong, or that series was somehow numbered specially, you have something funny going on there. Speaking of which, my Vs and Explorers all have the SN stamped and painted over in the guitar's color. What's with the contrasting white SN on yours? That's how my my Epi was stamped. If the SN isn't stamped (along with "Made in USA") you certainly have a fake Gibson.

There was a period when Gibson changed the serial number system on certain models (or certain years) such that the first two digits WERE the year of manufacture.

This issue has come up before and Gibson Customer Service was kind enough to chime in. Hopefully they will again.

Hopefully that is the case, because I didn't see fretmarkers on the board from the small pic on my phone (another eyebrow raiser when coupled with rosewood).

Edit: nevermind the fretmarker comment, thumbnail finally loaded and I see the dots.

If I recall correctly:

Digit 1 = decade of manufacture

Digits 2-4 = date of man. (e.g., 032 = 32nd day or Feb. 1st)

Digit 5 = year of manufacture

Digits 6-8 batch number (e.g. 125 = 125th guitar made that day)

This interpretation jives with my Gibsons ranging from '88-'07

Thus, your guitar would have been made in 1997, not 1994, but it was made on the 400th day of the year, which clearly doesn't make sense. So, unless my interpretation is somehow wrong, or that series was somehow numbered specially, you have something funny going on there. Speaking of which, my Vs and Explorers all have the SN stamped and painted over in the guitar's color. What's with the contrasting white SN on yours? That's how my my Epi was stamped. If the SN isn't stamped (along with "Made in USA") you certainly have a fake Gibson.

"In 1994, for Gibson’s Centennial, they used a special serialization. Every serial number started with 94 followed by six digits, which were the production dates and number (YYNNNNNN)."

I am really confused :( some extra photos:

2012-07-31%2011.39.45.jpg

2012-07-31%2011.43.07.jpg

2012-07-31%2011.45.37.jpg

2012-07-31%2011.46.31.jpg

2012-07-31%2011.46.37.jpg

2012-08-01%2001.44.25.jpg

"In 1994, for Gibson’s Centennial, they used a special serialization. Every serial number started with 94 followed by six digits, which were the production dates and number (YYNNNNNN)."

I am really confused :(

What's to be confused about, you have answered your own question. You're right, he's wrong!

Archived