Gibson Brands Forums

Two Hobbit movies becomes three

Rabs

Loved Lord of the Rings... Really looking forward to the Hobbit so this is good news for me :)

also if your interested they have the final day of shooting production video here http://www.aintitcool.com/node/57201

...revealed on Peter Jackson's Facebook page:

It is only at the end of a shoot that you finally get the chance to sit down and have a look at the film you have made. Recently Fran, Phil and I did just this when we watched for the first time an early cut of the first movie - and a large chunk of the second. We were really pleased with the way the story was coming together, in particular, the strength of the characters and the cast who have brought them to life. All of which gave rise to a simple question: do we take this chance to tell more of the tale? And the answer from our perspective as the filmmakers, and as fans, was an unreserved ‘yes.'

We know how much of the story of Bilbo Baggins, the Wizard Gandalf, the Dwarves of Erebor, the rise of the Necromancer, and the Battle of Dol Guldur will remain untold if we do not take this chance. The richness of the story of The Hobbit, as well as some of the related material in the appendices of The Lord of the Rings, allows us to tell the full story of the adventures of Bilbo Baggins and the part he played in the sometimes dangerous, but at all times exciting, history of Middle-earth.

So, without further ado and on behalf of New Line Cinema, Warner Bros. Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Wingnut Films, and the entire cast and crew of “The Hobbit” films, I’d like to announce that two films will become three.

It has been an unexpected journey indeed, and in the words of Professor Tolkien himself, "a tale that grew in the telling."

Cheers, Peter J

Call me cynical, negative, pessimist or what ever, but I can't help but feeling that the question they asked themselves was "how do we milk this for some more money?"

As long as the films are good they can make as much money as they like :)

As long as the films are good they can make as much money as they like :)

Well, yes. I was implying that the decision wasn't made with the best of the films in mind. But if they can pull it off - great. But even then I'm not sure spreading it out over three movies is a great idea. Not that I mind long movies or taking your time to tell a story (hell, I gladly watch Tarkovsky's films) but setting a pace and getting the point across in a restricted time has its merits too.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I don't know how they could possibly make it last 3 movies, as the entire LOTR series took 3 movies. But if the can make good films, then I'm all for it.

Well the Hobbit was a seperate book to the Lord of the Rings so is a seperate entity... ANd that lasted two films.. BUT what they are talking about is actually expanding the story between the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings timeline and making more about the rise of Gandalaf and Saruman (Christopher Lee)and that whole side of it.. Which will be totally new territory not even covered by any book.

Sounds pretty cool to me.

Awesome, I love Lord of the Rings. So what you are saying is this will cover Bilbo's story before he gave the ring to Frodo? I assume it will cover the origin of the ring in more detail along with Gandalf & Saruman. Not sure how it will last three movies, but I'll wait and see. [thumbup]

The three Lord of The Rings movies are unmatchable in my view. Love all three of them, especially "Return of The King." This new movie has an awfully big mountain to climb, even to get on a level playing field with the originals films. If it is even on the same planet with The Lord of The Rings, it will be worth seeing.

Awesome, I love Lord of the Rings. So what you are saying is this will cover Bilbo's story before he gave the ring to Frodo? I assume it will cover the origin of the ring in more detail along with Gandalf & Saruman. Not sure how it will last three movies, but I'll wait and see. [thumbup]

Yes pretty much thats how I see it... the first two films were telling the story of the Hobbit book.. The new third one will be the inbetween bits that lead to the Lord of the Rings.. So yeah how Saruman turned and maybe more of the reationship between him and Gandalf etc.. Will be interesting thats for sure :)

Archived