Gibson Brands Forums

Ren Ferguson (Fender Acoustics) Interview

JuanCarlosVejar

A bit surrealistic to see Ferguson with a F-logo on the chest.

One gets curious.

It's quite like a sports-team introducing a new well-known coach, who has a top record and 101 gold medals behind him.

There is a feeling this might turn into something big.

And notice the array of guitars parade like tin-soldiers behind the general - ready to obey and conquer the world.

Watch out G and M, - T, C and S , , , here comes F.

Well, we'll see. . .

Wow...

They hired him to do that...?

Not to resurrect the Guild guitar...

Not to design totally original, new guitars...but to make improvements to the classic $150 Fender Acoustic Guitar. [laugh][woot][woot] [woot]

Thats like bringing in a tank to kill some mice. [woot]

He mentioned "new models" about 5 times...

I think it's more of a "look what we have" type appearance, I can't think designs made by Ren would fall in to the sub 1k market, what would be the point, he's there to pimp their setup and hopefully get them selling guitars that are 2-3k.

The type of customer normally buying a $150 guitar probabl;y wouldn't know or care who Ren Ferguson is, in fact outside this forum I'm not aware of any other guitarists I know being aware or caring who he is, for some it's as simple as "Gibson's used to have a rough reputation but the ones I've played over the last have been great" and even at the open mic nights I go to I've had stuff along the lines of "Gibson's are so much better than I thought they were, that's a lovely guitar mate"

It makes him a prestige player, they need to get the chin-strokers and tire cork-sniffers on-side before that filters down to the enthusiast with money who isn't on a forum type crowd, his name carries a bit of weight amongst the geeks and the fussy in terms of his luthiery rep and his ability to build a plant working to capacity. When they start rolling out high dollar stuff that isn't shameful, they'll have the muscle and might to promote it well and generate sales.

Glad to see Ren again even if it is wearing a Fender shirt. He will bring great knowledge to the acoustic line. We may even see some fantastic Guilds again. I have had so many conversations with Ren over the years and now I look forward to disucssing another brand with him. Good Luck Ren!!!

I think it's more of a "look what we have" type appearance, I can't think designs made by Ren would fall in to the sub 1k market, what would be the point, he's there to pimp their setup and hopefully get them selling guitars that are 2-3k.

The type of customer normally buying a $150 guitar probabl;y wouldn't know or care who Ren Ferguson is, in fact outside this forum I'm not aware of any other guitarists I know being aware or caring who he is, for some it's as simple as "Gibson's used to have a rough reputation but the ones I've played over the last have been great" and even at the open mic nights I go to I've had stuff along the lines of "Gibson's are so much better than I thought they were, that's a lovely guitar mate"

It makes him a prestige player, they need to get the chin-strokers and tire cork-sniffers on-side before that filters down to the enthusiast with money who isn't on a forum type crowd, his name carries a bit of weight amongst the geeks and the fussy in terms of his luthiery rep and his ability to build a plant working to capacity. When they start rolling out high dollar stuff that isn't shameful, they'll have the muscle and might to promote it well and generate sales.

Well said – and you are so right about Fergusons fame. Even some sales-men do not know who he is.

What would be needed is a whole new branch or level of Fender acoustics and a pr-campaign beyond this world. Then of course a good amount of time.

If the force behind the offensive have their strategy together, I can see why the company would want to hire a ship-turner like R.F. He would be the back-brain – the ace – the guarantee. With him in charge they can move with a reassuring we try our best in mind.

It will be interesting to follow. I come to think of the Ovation wave – happened pretty quick, didn't it. . .

More Insight on the Fender Custom Shop Acoustics via the Music Zoo :

We’re really excited to get our hands on Fender’s latest endeavor: real, honest to goodness, handmade Custom Shop acoustic guitars, produced out of a brand new shop in New Hartford, CT. Custom Shop Fender Acoustics! For real! Fender has made acoustic guitars for decades and while they are great for the money, now they’ve stepped up to give the most discerning players a cool acoustic option from their favorite brand. Master luthier Ren Ferguson has been hired to oversee this shop. That’s a very good thing. Ren is widely regarded in the industry as one of our country’s finest individual guitar artisans. The first project we will see coming out of the New Hartford shop will be two very special and limited edition guitars (only 15 each will be made): a Dreadnought featuring a Quilt Maple back and sides (MSRP $5,500), and a Kingman (yes!) with a Flame Maple back and sides (MSRP $5,000). We will have one of each at The Music Zoo. Read on for more information about these two very special, historic guitars.

with this link you will see the two models that Fender is offering :

http://www.themusiczoo.com/blog/2012/fender-acoustic-custom-shop-guitars-yes/

JC

It will be interesting to see what kind of long term contribution RF makes. Remember that Fender hired Bob Benedetto with some fanfare, but no lasting impact. They seem to keep swinging & striking out with higher end acoustics, but you've gotta give them credit for coming back with another serious attempt.

It will be interesting to see what kind of long term contribution RF makes. Remember that Fender hired Bob Benedetto with some fanfare, but no lasting impact. They seem to keep swinging & striking out with higher end acoustics, but you've gotta give them credit for coming back with another serious attempt.

I'm struggling to put the words "Fender" and "high-quality acoustic guitar" into the same sentence.

Ha... I have one of those $150 Fender acoustics. I adjusted the neck, put 10s on it, tuned it to DADGAD and it plays pretty good. But.. but.. its in a case at the moment. hard to pick it up compared to my Birds, Taylors, PRS Hb or Yamaha Compass.

He mentioned "new models" about 5 times...

Sure, all with that rediculous Fender headstock..and dreadnaught (Ditson/Martin) body.

Sounds original.

Its very possible that the suits pulled him from Gibson to boost "Going Public".

They should have left him in peace at Gibson where he was merrily doing his thing..and would have for the next 12 years.

More Insight on the Fender Custom Shop Acoustics via the Music Zoo :

We’re really excited to get our hands on Fender’s latest endeavor: real, honest to goodness, handmade Custom Shop acoustic guitars, produced out of a brand new shop in New Hartford, CT. Custom Shop Fender Acoustics! For real! Fender has made acoustic guitars for decades and while they are great for the money, now they’ve stepped up to give the most discerning players a cool acoustic option from their favorite brand. Master luthier Ren Ferguson has been hired to oversee this shop. That’s a very good thing. Ren is widely regarded in the industry as one of our country’s finest individual guitar artisans. The first project we will see coming out of the New Hartford shop will be two very special and limited edition guitars (only 15 each will be made): a Dreadnought featuring a Quilt Maple back and sides (MSRP $5,500), and a Kingman (yes!) with a Flame Maple back and sides (MSRP $5,000). We will have one of each at The Music Zoo. Read on for more information about these two very special, historic guitars.

with this link you will see the two models that Fender is offering :

http://www.themusiczoo.com/blog/2012/fender-acoustic-custom-shop-guitars-yes/

JC

Starting at $5000 List which is $3-4000 in stores...Sure just put em over there next to the Paul Reed Smith ones.. : )

I'm struggling to put the words "Fender" and "high-quality acoustic guitar" into the same sentence.

And they never have gone together. The D'Aquisto archtop Fenders were well regarded, but otherwise there's never been much out there in the acoustic realm with 'Fender' on the headstock that could be considered high end. Imho that continues to be part of the problem for Fender: There's never been a 'golden era' for Fender acoustics! Fender building Guilds is a different ball game. To date they haven't been able to successfully market that either, but I think it would be a better use of RF's time to try to revive what was a well regarded product, rather than trying to covince anyone that a high priced resissue of a pedestrian '60s Fender acoustic makes sense.

Here is a fellow, that has worked with one of the Greatest Acoustic Guitar Companies on the planet, for a good 25 years, then leaves and goes to work for a Low To About Lower Acoustic Guitar Company, what is one to believe? The values will begin to DROP! NO DOUBT. Martin

Great, and exactly when, so I know when to buy my new Gibby ?

Let me start by saying that I love Ren. I know him. He is a great man and a fantastic luthier. I can't say enough about it. I am sure he will and has contributed great things to these guitars.

that being said........... NO COMPANY has mastered the big 3: Acoustic, electric, and amps. Fender has a electrics and amps. Gibson has electrics and acoustics. Others do well well with 2. No one has gotten all 3 though. I don't know why. Maybe it's the approach of management. Maybe it's money. Maybe it's stigma. I don't know, but I do know it can't be done. Sure Gibson made some cool amps. but it's not like they are top of the food chain. It's just the way it is. I understand wanting to conquer all 3... but the MBAs need quit. It's a lost cause proven for decades.

Here is a fellow, that has worked with one of the Greatest Acoustic Guitar Companies on the planet, for a good 25 years, then leaves and goes to work for a Low To About Lower Acoustic Guitar Company, what is one to believe? The values will begin to DROP! NO DOUBT. Martin

Lol what are you talking about?!

??? what does that have to do with his legacy at gibson ?

he isn't working only to better Fender Acoustics but also Guild ,Gretsch and a few others.

and he is not building them ... he is only a consultant

JC

Archived