Gibson Brands Forums

Bought a beach boys album on itunes

FenderGuy1

Guest rogerb

I have 20 greatest hits of the Beach Boys on CD in my convertible. Perfect songs for cruising with the top is down!!!!

While the words in the Beach Boys songs may be corny by today's standards, the vocal arrangements are excellent and the harmonies still blow me away. I have dozens of Beach Boys songs on my iPod.

I played trombone in a Glenn Miller style swing orhestra during high school and the guy who led the group always compared their harmonies to the complex ones of Glenn Miller. Great stuff.

Just don't call it "Surf Music". J/K, my dad was a surf guitarist and that's what he used to say to me when I'd listen to the Beach Boys.

No better group for vocals, not a lot of guitar going on, but still a great group.

Brian Wilson was a musical genius. What he was doing in his young twenties was amazing by any standard. Writing, producing, arranging all the instruments and vocals and having Capital give him free reign in the studio was unheard of at the time.

He was king of the hill until drugs and mental illness took hold in 67.

Caroline No is one of the most beautiful heartbreak songs ever written.

The Beatles were greatly influenced by The Beach Boys, Pet Sounds in particular. It pushed them to experiment even more in the studio. I think if someone does not recognize their genius (Brian Wilson specifically) they are not much of a musician.

I remember seeing Mike Love, Peter Gabriel, and John McLaughlin on an interview show. I forget the name of the host. The subject came up about the lyrics to Beach Boy songs and Mike spoke about how they were singing about things that were important to them at the time. They were young and girls, and cars were what their life was about at the time. I still see some "grown ups" still obsessed with women and muscle cars. Shallow perhaps but true none the less. Their later albums dealt with emotions that ran deeper. Pet Sounds dealt with finding themselves and becoming independent. The love aspect was maturing and they spoke for a lot of people and put their feelings and insecrities into their art. Which is what all great artists do.

I still listen to Help and see how Lohn Lennon really laid his emotions out there. Naked and for all to see. He was indeed calling for help.

Although I listen to Sirius satellite radio 95% of the time because they don't overplay songs,they are guilty of this in the biggest way lately. One of the songs on the Beach Boy's new album has been so overplayed on Little Steven's Underground Garage, that I have grown to absolutely loathe it since it came out.The song is "That's Why God Made The Radio" and they play it at least a couple of times an hour-that's what turned me from AM and FM radio.That song is going to suffer the same fate as "Kokomo" which was played to death in the late 80s until people couldn''t stand it anymore.

Although I listen to Sirius satellite radio 95% of the time because they don't overplay songs,they are guilty of this in the biggest way lately. One of the songs on the Beach Boy's new album has been so overplayed on Little Steven's Underground Garage, that I have grown to absolutely loathe it since it came out.The song is "That's Why God Made The Radio" and they play it at least a couple of times an hour-that's what turned me from AM and FM radio.That song is going to suffer the same fate as "Kokomo" which was played to death in the late 80s until people couldn''t stand it anymore.

Brian Wilson had nothing to do with Kokomo........just so ya know.

Yup I knew that Brian didn't write Kokomo because the melody and lyrics were too pedestrian for him.I doubt very much if he wrote "....God Made the Radio" either because the words and melody are very simple and not up to his usual standards.Despite all of his quirks and idiosyncrasies he is still one of the best composers of modern times and certainly deserves a spot on the pedestal near Lennon,McCartney,Dylan et al.Like many of our best and most notorious songsters he has been seen as being a "half bubble off of plumb." such as Sid Barrett,Viv Stanshell of the Bonzo Dog Band and a few more but has managed to remain lucid enough to have written some of the most beautiful and memorable songs of the 20th Century.

Archived