Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul

Bikerbill77

I'm getting ready to purchase a new guitar and would like some info on the Les Paul line of guitars. What are the differences between the models, say a standard vs a studio?

The major differences are mostly in the cosmetics if you're going straight up "Standard" vs. Studio. Standards will have body and neck binding with block inlays on the fret board.

Studios will not have any bindings, and fret markers will be dot inlay. Usually the electronics, pickups, hardware, tuners, are all the same of of equivalent quality. it's mostly "bling".

that said, there are now a whole slew of "Standards" and "Studios" that don't always conform. Gibson and Epi are producing so many new variations, and giving them all slightly different names, I am starting to get lost with the product offerings. but anyway, that's the "basic" difference.

If you like gold Les Pauls, Musician's Friend has the all gold (not just gold top) Studio Deluxe (the deluxe has covered pickups and crown inlays, so basically the only thing it's missing vs. a Standard is neck and top binding) on sale right now for $272.00. That's a great price:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-limited-edition-les-paul-studio-deluxe-electric-guitar

Epiphone has "broken the ice" by building a AAA Maple Top Les Paul "Tribute Plus". By breaking the ice...I mean that they are employing all Gibson Electronics. The pickups are '57 Gibson lead and rhythm pickups, 2 Mallory 150 caps, all Gibson pots, switches and jack. The carved AAA maple top is beautiful. For $599.00 (street price) I believe that this model is perhaps the best Epi Les Paul offering out there! This is not patterned after a Studio or Standard. I guess that you could see it as a 1960 designed "Standard" if you want. Simply their best $600 value to date.

Epiphone has "broken the ice" by building a AAA Maple Top Les Paul "Tribute Plus". By breaking the ice...I mean that they are employing all Gibson Electronics. The pickups are '57 Gibson lead and rhythm pickups, 2 Mallory 150 caps, all Gibson pots, switches and jack. The carved AAA maple top is beautiful. For $599.00 (street price) I believe that this model is perhaps the best Epi Les Paul offering out there! This is not patterned after a Studio or Standard. I guess that you could see it as a 1960 designed "Standard" if you want. Simply their best $600 value to date.

I just checked out this guitar. Coming from a no-good, cork-sniffing, guitar snob, this Epi looks SICK!!! I'd have to agree, that's an incredible value. I'll check one out next time I'm in the music shop.

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen another $599.00 Epi Les Paul called the "Prophecy"? It has "Probucker" humbuckings which are Epi's version of Gibson Burstbuckers. I still have my goal being the "Tribute Plus" since it is almost all Gibson. I think that I'd be more than happy with Gibson '57 PAF pickups than any Epiphone knockoffs. I've also been checking out the "Nanomag" acoustic sounding pickups. I have gotten mixed opinions. I sold my Night Hawk. I added up all that I wanted to spend on improvements and it came to too much $. It's OK for a beginner or intermediate but all the pups need replacing.

Archived