Gibson Brands Forums

The Final Hendrix interview

Rabs

As a huge Jimi fan I have never heard that. Thanks for posting it.

Of all the greats who passed too early, more than anyone else, Jimi would be who I would have liked to watch evolve.

I'm sure he would have done some amazing things.

Was cool to hear his interest in classical, and how he "digs" Wagner. Jimi with an orchestra,, Wow.

Talking about making music videos in 1970.

And I got a kick out of he didn't even know what psychedelic meant.

Of all the greats who passed too early, more than anyone else, Jimi would be who I would have liked to watch evolve.

Was cool to hear his interest in classical, and how he "digs" Wagner. Jimi with an orchestra,, Wow.

I too have wondered where he would have gone. Even as it is he is on top but his special talent would have resulted in something incredible I'm sure.

Yeah I agree.. im also a massive Hendrix fan and have seen just about every bit of footage and heard just about every demo and bootleg there is.. And I never heard this before so had to share :) [thumbup]

I also love the way he wanted to do everything.. He wanted to be loud like the Experience again (after Band of Gypsies), he wanted to have a five or six piece rock band where he was just the guitarist AND he wanted to do big band and orchestral stuff... What did he say.. " When I get around to doing it the whole world will know about it"

Man i would love to have heard that...

Yeah I agree.. im also a massive Hendrix fan and have seen just about every bit of footage and heard just about every demo and bootleg there is.. And I never heard this before so had to share :) [thumbup]

I also love the way he wanted to do everything.. He wanted to be loud like the Experience again (after Band of Gypsies), he wanted to have a five or six piece rock band where he was just the guitarist AND he wanted to do big band and orchestral stuff... What did he say.. " When I get around to doing it the whole world will know about it"

Man i would love to have heard that...

He could have got into Fusion (John McLaughin was a friend of his). He could have been the first guy to use the guitar synthesizer. He could have been a shredder!

A lot of people brag about his rig being so simple (ex. "All Jimi needed was three pedals!"). Actually, back then, people looked at Hendrix's rig like we look at Alex Lifeson's or The Edge's rig nowadays....

Jimi would have used anything he could have got his hands on. Yes, even rack units!

He could have got into Fusion (John McLaughin was a friend of his). He could have been the first guy to use the guitar synthesizer. He could have been a shredder!

A lot of people brag about his rig being so simple (ex. "All Jimi needed was three pedals!"). Actually, back then, people looked at Hendrix's rig like we look at Alex Lifeson's or The Edge's rig nowadays....

Jimi would have used anything he could have got his hands on. Yes, even rack units!

Ya man that's pretty cool. I thought I knew alot about Jimi but the more I look the less I know.

I was googling some of the old John Mclaughlin, Al Di Meola and Paco De Lucia stuff(Melodic Shredders, lol) I haven't heard in years and came across a bootleg jam of Jimi and John McLaughlin. I had no idea they even crossed paths. I guess when I was into this stuff it was newish, and there was no internet at my fingertips. It's crazy the stuff you can find nowadays if you go looking.

I'm an incredibly fanatical Hendrix freak and I have bookcases filled with Hendrix material alone.I used to spend many many hours trying to capture every nuance of his playing-I soon came to the realization that nobody ever could emulate his playing perfectly,but I stuck to trying to do a respectable facsimile of it and must have done OK with it because people used to refer to me as "that Hendrix guy" and we used to always play many Hendrix covers. Among my piles of Jimi related printed materials I have transcriptions of that final interview as well as a CD recording of it.

When Jimi was so suddenly and tragically taken away from us he was just about to go through a musical metamorphosis and his final cuts that appeared on Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge were just a tease of what was to come from his beautiful,creative and brilliant mind.If Jimi had lived he would have been painting beautiful dreamscapes with sounds.A lot of people quite wrongly say that at the time of his death Jimi was all dried up when it came to creating and writing new music and saw that was the cause of his apparent melancholia but nothing could be further from the truth.If Jimi was in either way down in the dumps,it was because he was tired of being looked at as a sideshow rather than a serious musician and a huge talent. It's almost unfortunate that Jimi was such an incredible showman as many people couldn't see beyond that and his music became secondary to them.Not since Nicolo Paganini has there been another musician with the gift of being the consumate showman as well as an incredible writer of melodies and an amazingly brilliant lyricist.

I'm an incredibly fanatical Hendrix freak and I have bookcases filled with Hendrix material alone.I used to spend many many hours trying to capture every nuance of his playing-I soon came to the realization that nobody ever could emulate his playing perfectly,but I stuck to trying to do a respectable facsimile of it and must have done OK with it because people used to refer to me as "that Hendrix guy" and we used to always play many Hendrix covers. Among my piles of Jimi related printed materials I have transcriptions of that final interview as well as a CD recording of it.

When Jimi was so suddenly and tragically taken away from us he was just about to go through a musical metamorphosis and his final cuts that appeared on Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge were just a tease of what was to come from his beautiful,creative and brilliant mind.If Jimi had lived he would have been painting beautiful dreamscapes with sounds.A lot of people quite wrongly say that at the time of his death Jimi was all dried up when it came to creating and writing new music and saw that was the cause of his apparent melancholia but nothing could be further from the truth.If Jimi was in either way down in the dumps,it was because he was tired of being looked at as a sideshow rather than a serious musician and a huge talent. It's almost unfortunate that Jimi was such an incredible showman as many people couldn't see beyond that and his music became secondary to them.Not since Nicolo Paganini has there been another musician with the gift of being the consumate showman as well as an incredible writer of melodies and an amazingly brilliant lyricist.

Well said man. I couldn't agree more.

Guest rogerb

That's really cool, I have not heard this interview before. He passed away on September 18, 1970 less than one week after this interview.

Archived