Gibson Brands Forums

Cheap Tip For Tone

CowboyBillyBob1

I just wanted to pass along a tone tip that you may already know but is new to me. I have been using a '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue ss my amp of choice in my apartment. I keep the volume low as 22 watts can get way too loud. I use an MXR Dynacomp sparingly, TS9 for a bit of grit and a Carbon Copy delay to add some ambience on top of the hint of reverb. It's all about the subtlty.

Sounds great but still us guitarists are always looking on how to improve our tone. I purchased an amp stand for $35.00. I was not expecting much but was tired of bending down to tweak the amp. What a surprise!! The tone improved much more than I could imagine. The bottom end was tight and not woofy. Nice fat high end not shrill at all. I can't explain why but it works. For $35.00 it's a no brainer. I am going to give it a try on my 1981 Marshall 50 watt 2X12 JMP combo.

On a side note I bought some Big Bends Nut Sauce and am sorry I have not used it sooner. It's way better than putting some graphite pencil shavings in the nut groove. Dramatic improvement on tuning stability despite agressive bending on either side of the nut and it no longer "pings" when tuning up. This is a must have and cannot imagine changing strings without some of it applied.

YMMV but you owe it to yourself to give it a try.

Archived