Gibson Brands Forums

sticky hands and big thanks

spooki

First I want to say a big thanks to all that helped me with the fret buss on my Nighthawk. I did a small careful dress-up on the second fret and added a little more relief in the neck. Lots of ideas out there via web sites and I went with .010 instead of .006 on the 6th-7th fret. I'm not a heavy picker or strumm'er. All is well and wonderful now. I'm still intrigued with the need and want of a nice fret leveling job, and do plan on doing this myself. But will wait now and look for some yard sale guitars to practice on in the future. Practice makes perfect!! so too speak. My question now is sticky hands. I'm learning some of the Fogerty CCR songs and of course there is a lot of sliding up and down the neck. The friction between hand and neck is really causing problems for comfort and speed of course. Looking for input on this without causing problems on the finish of the neck. Will baby powder work? Small amounts of course, like in a sock of sort? I have a can of finger ease but it's very short term. I hate to just stab and go on my own to find out later it was a mistake. Thanks again to all.

I have never done this myself, but have heard of people using a scotchbrite pad on the back of poly necks to give it a satin finish type feel to it. You can probably find a video on you tube that will show you how to do it. I've also heard of people using sandpaper.

One of these days I would like to do it myself to my G400.

I have never done this myself, but have heard of people using a scotchbrite pad on the back of poly necks to give it a satin finish type feel to it. You can probably find a video on you tube that will show you how to do it. I've also heard of people using sandpaper.

One of these days I would like to do it myself to my G400.

So I'm taking it that the pretty, glossy finish is the main cause? Still has to be an alternative.

Taking the shine off with Scotchbrite, or a very fine sandpaper is the way to go.

It gives the feel and look of a satin finish. Really easy to do.

Well I finally stood up to the plate and did it. Went digging through my shop and found the green automotive scotch-brite that had some wear on it already. Taped off the lines at neck and base for cosmetic reasons. I'm very happy with the results gained. It does indeed dull the finish, but too me.. it was worth it. I have no plans of ever parting with my Nighthawk. So if value has dropped, it's no big deal. As much as I feel it's a million dollar guitar. The retail or used value is still what it is, (low) but I gained from this. I'm happy, and I guess that is what matters most. Thanks to all for the help.

Well I finally stood up to the plate and did it. Went digging through my shop and found the green automotive scotch-brite that had some wear on it already. Taped off the lines at neck and base for cosmetic reasons. I'm very happy with the results gained. It does indeed dull the finish, but too me.. it was worth it. I have no plans of ever parting with my Nighthawk. So if value has dropped, it's no big deal. As much as I feel it's a million dollar guitar. The retail or used value is still what it is, (low) but I gained from this. I'm happy, and I guess that is what matters most. Thanks to all for the help.

Not to mention you can polish it back out to look like new if you ever wish to very easily.

Archived