Gibson Brands Forums

Another freakin' cab.

Twiz

For some reason lately, the universe has been putting me in the right place at the right time...sonically speaking. 2 weeks ago I found a sweet Avatar 4X12. Just this past weekend, a buddy of mine found this 2X12 used at a local shop and gave me a heads up on it. I traded some gear and took this cab home today. I'm pretty happy because now I've got a 2X12 for smaller shows, a 4X12 for bigger shows, and if I want to be louder still (not likely) I can run them both together as a 3/4 stack. The grill cloths don't match, but that doesn't bother me. I may change one at some point if it starts to bug me.

2x12_avatar.jpg

celestions.jpg

One quandary for you more knowledgeable chaps... The speakers in this 2X12 are a Vintage 30, and a G12H. Combined the wattage on these guys is only 90 watts (60 watts for the Vintage 30, and 30 watts for the G12H). Am I cool playing my 120 watt head through this as long as I don't turn up all the way to 10? -The loudest I go is about 5 or 6. I just don't want to blow a speaker. Worst case scenario, I suppose I could get another Vintage 30, but I don't want to if I don't have to. Any light you can shed on this would be most appreciated.

I bought two of that same cab - V30 and G12H30 - one in orange and one in black. (Though I have

since recovered the black one with checkerboard cloth and dumped the V30 for a Greenback).

DSC_0015-2.jpg

As for power, my buddy has dimed his 100 watt Marshall through each of them with no problem -

you should be okay. If you think it's going to be a loud gig, just use both cabs like you said.

I have been doing a similar thing with one of my cabinets in that the cabinet is only ratted at 250 watts RMS while the head is ratted at 300 watts RMS. I haven't turned the amplifier up all the way and so far have had no issues with blowing speakers. I am no expert, but I believe there is a bit of wiggle room in regards to that sort of thing. Most likely you'll fart out before you blow the speaker. I would imagine that using extremely out of sync wattage would be the culprit to blow a speaker. Once again, I'm no expert so best to proceed with caution.

Nice score though!

I bought two of that same cab - V30 and G12H30 - one in orange and one in black. (Though I have

since recovered the black one with checkerboard cloth and dumped the V30 for a Greenback).

...As for power, my buddy has dimed his 100 watt Marshall through each of them with no problem -

you should be okay. If you think it's going to be a loud gig, just use both cabs like you said.

Sweet cab Surfpup. That looks sick with your Marshall.

Thanks for the info too. I doubt I'll ever play my 5150 louder than 5 through it.

I have been doing a similar thing with one of my cabinets in that the cabinet is only ratted at 250 watts RMS while the head is ratted at 300 watts RMS. I haven't turned the amplifier up all the way and so far have had no issues with blowing speakers. I am no expert, but I believe there is a bit of wiggle room in regards to that sort of thing. Most likely you'll fart out before you blow the speaker. I would imagine that using extremely out of sync wattage would be the culprit to blow a speaker. Once again, I'm no expert so best to proceed with caution.

Nice score though!

Yea, I don't know exactly how it works either. I am guessing it's fine, sometimes I'm overly cautious...haha. Thanks for the input man.

Archived