Gibson Brands Forums

Zoom R8 Recorder

quapman

Just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this unit.

I have never heard of Zoom.

Looks like alot of bang for the buck.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/r8/

WOW thats a hardcore unit there... I know Zoom quite well.. They were one of the first companies to make multi effects pedals and they were oretty good at the time.. Its been a while since Ive used them though but id imagine that its pretty good.. Looks quite complex..

There is a cheaper alternative that I use.. Not as complex but smaller and really easy to use. Its a Boss Micro BR mini digital four track. I can vouch for this one :)

and theres a new model out now too

WOW thats a hardcore unit there... I know Zoom quite well.. They were one of the first companies to make multi effects pedals and they were oretty good at the time.. Its been a while since Ive used them though but id imagine that its pretty good.. Looks quite complex..

There is a cheaper alternative that I use.. Not as complex but smaller and really easy to use. Its a Boss Micro BR mini digital four track. I can vouch for this one :)

Thanks Rabs. Ya you recommended that unit in a past thread where I asked about recording software. I really liked it and I went in to order one and the retailer implied

that it was replaced by the BR-80 which is an 8 track version of yours. I was also shown this other option with the R8.

The BR-80 here retails for $299, the R8 retails at $319.

I quite like the faders and the added cubase software is a nice option where you can use the unit to control the DAW software. It's also got those funky little drum pads..lol. And I like the 1/4 inch jacks too.

So it's not a huge price difference although there me be more of a learning curve for sure.

Thanks Rabs. Ya you recommended that unit in a past thread where I asked about recording software. I really liked it and I went in to order one and the retailer implied

that it was replaced by the BR-80 which is an 8 track version of yours. I was also shown this other option with the R8.

The BR-80 here retails for $299, the R8 retails at $319.

I quite like the faders and the added cubase software is a nice option where you can use the unit to control the DAW software. It's also got those funky little drum pads..lol. And I like the 1/4 inch jacks too.

So it's not a huge price difference although there me be more of a learning curve for sure.

Haha yeah sorry... So many threads, cant always remember who ive said what too :)

And yeah that Zoom one does look pretty darn comprehensive... I like the boss ones cos they are so portable (as we discussed before) but for home use that Zoom looks great [thumbup]

May be worth seeing if you can get a second hand one on the cheap for a portable option

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=boss+micro+br&_sacat=0

I have a Zoom R16. I really like it. Easy to use and sounds great.

Cool. How would you rate the drum sounds? I found a you tube sample and some sounded a little cheesy, But I suppose for the price I wouldn't expect too much.

Do you think the sounds are the same on the R8 as what you have on your R16?

I may like to pick your brain on it's use a little. Can you use the drum pads for fills over top the prerecorded rhythm samples?

Cool. How would you rate the drum sounds? I found a you tube sample and some sounded a little cheesy, But I suppose for the price I wouldn't expect too much.

Do you think the sounds are the same on the R8 as what you have on your R16?

I may like to pick your brain on it's use a little. Can you use the drum pads for fills over top the prerecorded rhythm samples?

The R16 does not have the drum pads on it. But being that I am a drummer, that doesn't matter to me. So I can't help you out there.

One of the main reasons I got the R16 is because it can record with 8 inputs simultaneously. I liked that for miking my drum set.

I also got it for $250 off ebay, in great condition.

I've never had any trouble with it at all. Took a while to learn how to use all the different fx, and their parameters, etc., etc. But I think it has some decent fx in it (they probably are the same as in the R8). I use it as a stand alone recorder. I sometimes upload tracks to my computer and use Reaper software or Audacity or something like that to use other FX and such. I can mix it there, or download back to my R16 and mix/master there. It really has everything I need. [thumbup]

The R16 does not have the drum pads on it. But being that I am a drummer, that doesn't matter to me. So I can't help you out there.

One of the main reasons I got the R16 is because it can record with 8 inputs simultaneously. I liked that for miking my drum set.

I also got it for $250 off ebay, in great condition.

I've never had any trouble with it at all. Took a while to learn how to use all the different fx, and their parameters, etc., etc. But I think it has some decent fx in it (they probably are the same as in the R8). I use it as a stand alone recorder. I sometimes upload tracks to my computer and use Reaper software or Audacity or something like that to use other FX and such. I can mix it there, or download back to my R16 and mix/master there. It really has everything I need. [thumbup]

Thanks man. Agreed. It looks like it has alot of flexibility. Aside from the learning curve I think it's a good choice.

From what I've seen it looks like a guy could get going on it right away though. I think the learning curve would come trying to

use it's full potential?

I've had the Micro BR80 for a while now and will attest to its' quality, and ease of use. I'm a plug & play guy, and most of this stuff just mystifies me (I have a BR600 that I've never figured out) but the Micro BR80 is a lot of gear for the $. No experience with Tascam or Zoom so can't comment on those.

Well, I am open to suggestions. But just saying it's crap isn't very convincing. Got some examples of why it's crap?

Why? I'll tell you why... Zoom is a consumer product company with lower quality gear, they always have been. I have tried Zoom devise's and was not impressed with anything about them.

Once you get used to quality sound/feature's one can tell what is and what is not good gear, if you don't care about how good the sound is going to be and the usability of your gear then by all mean's pick-up the cheepst thing you can find and don't even worry about it.

Don't listen to my 25+ years of recording/playing and college education, go and try stuff out and look at spec's and then research those spec's and the company behind it. Tascam can be hard to deal with at time's but there quality is quite high and they know what they are doing.

I'm not ignorant just honest.

I've been using a Zoom H2 recorder for 6 years to record sound demos, interviews other projects. The case is plastic and the switches feel cheap. The sound quality is great and the features are useful and intuitive.

If it were smashed or stolen I'd shell $80 for another one and know I had good audio at a reasonable price.

I can understand why some people dont like Zoom.. But Id imagine they are thinking about more when they first enteretd the market.. They had the edge being one of the first multi effect pedals. But those first ones were pretty crap (but then all of the digital stuff was back then)... Forward to 2012 and id imagine with their experience and background and the way things are manufactured today that they are probably leaps and bounds on the original units in at least terms of sound quality.

I feel that way about Line 6.. I got one of the first modeling amps they made and hated it. It was enough to put me off them for life but I see that alot of people like the new stuff they are doing.

Yes, and Tascam is leaps and bounds over Zoom, always was and always will be. It's one thing to talk about stompboxes from yesteryear but you'll be hard pressed to find a Zoom unit in a hi quality studio.

Line 6 is no jewel ether, there is a fine line between levels of quality in product's. There is usable and there is good quality, and cost is getting closer and closer every day.

Don't buy a Zoom unit, unless you got big bucks to spend and are willing to learn the curve of operation for a hi-end unit, Tascam is the way to go man.

I like ZOOM, lots of people bash zoom and zoom users but I think they make great stuff for the price, not everyone is in need of a 50K interface. [biggrin]

As someone already noted: Tascam is "better" EDIT: Tascam is better but not "top of the top" stuff... you won't find many huge corporate recording studios running on tascam systems. [biggrin] (mine does, but it's a small studio).

Why? I'll tell you why... Zoom is a consumer product company with lower quality gear, they always have been. I have tried Zoom devise's and was not impressed with anything about them.

Once you get used to quality sound/feature's one can tell what is and what is not good gear, if you don't care about how good the sound is going to be and the usability of your gear then by all mean's pick-up the cheepst thing you can find and don't even worry about it.

Don't listen to my 25+ years of recording/playing and college education, go and try stuff out and look at spec's and then research those spec's and the company behind it. Tascam can be hard to deal with at time's but there quality is quite high and they know what they are doing.

I'm not ignorant just honest.

Well that makes sense and is what I suspected based on how much they were offering for the price. Not sure what having a college education has to do with anything though..lol.

I did manage to find a site where there was a demo on the drum sounds and yes your right, the quality wasn't the best. But then again, I'm just a hack in my basement and I'm not looking to produce a demo. I just wanna play around. Sounds like there are lots of satisfied folks on here using Zoom. Just curious though. What Tascam would be equivalent to the R8 for 300 bucks?

Well that makes sense and is what I suspected based on how much they were offering for the price. Not sure what having a college education has to do with anything though..lol.

I did manage to find a site where there was a demo on the drum sounds and yes your right, the quality wasn't the best. But then again, I'm just a hack in my basement and I'm not looking to produce a demo. I just wanna play around. Sounds like there are lots of satisfied folks on here using Zoom. Just curious though. What Tascam would be equivalent to the R8 for 300 bucks?

$300 is your budget? OK, check the Tascam website here. Then decide how much feature you need and pick the best unit based on your need's. No way to say any one Tascam product is the exact same as the Zoom device your looking at as they are not the same. There will be thing's that are alike but in the end they are 2 very different animal's.

Well after some pretty extensive research I gotta say... This R8 looks pretty impressive for the money. I looked at Zoom,Boss,Tascam,Fostex and Alesis. (that's about all I could think of). And in this price range for 2 tracks in, 8 simultaneous playback, the Zoom came out on top in the specs.

For the most part they were pretty well all equal with only a few differences.

The Zoom comes with Cubase Le and the R8 unit can also be used as an IO interface to control the Cubase DAW so it really is the only unit to offer the best of both worlds in standalone or computer mixing in that you can use it's onboard faders rather than a mouse to mix down.. kinda cool.

The Zoom has a 1/4 inch headphone jack, Which is what I already have and don't have to look for an adapter.

The Zooms power supply is included the others were optional.

As for the point of sound quality, the Zoom was the only one to offer

16bit or 24bit, 48kHz/44kHz WAV files. All the rest are 16bit/44kHz or less.

And seeing as the sound is digital, I have to assume the recording rate would dictate the better quality.

I doubt one manufacturer can boast quality over the others hardware as I wouldn't expect any serious pre-amps on any units in this price range.

So after checking out all the specs, I have the R8 on order.Woohoo...

Hope to have it in a couple weeks. And if I'm not impressed with how the buttons and knobs feel. I don't have to take it. No commitments.

I like that too..

Archived