Gibson Brands Forums

Need help identiiying

krukker1976

Probably an EB-1 from the 70s indeed, please see the specifications from this model below, taken from the Gruhns Guide to Vintage Guitars :

EB-1: Violin shaped mahogany body, carved top, painted on purfling and F-holes, Alnico magnet pickup with poles close to bridge side, brown Bakelite pickup cover, barrel knobs, elevated pickguard, screw in end pin, telescopic end pin also provided for upright playing, 30 1/2" scale, Kluson banjo style tuners, exposed bridge, crown peghead inlay, brown stain finish, brown contoured case with plush pink lining.

Introduced as Gibson Electric Bass: 1953

Discontinued, 546 total shipped: 1958

Reintroduced EB-1: Humbucking pickup with poles across middle, chrome pickup cover, chrome bridge cover, black bonnet knobs, standard right angle tuners, rectangular case: 1970

Discontinued: 1972

Please find attached an example of an EB-1 from 1954.

Kind regards,

Stijn

post-15276-094997500 1344001445_thumb.jpg

The instrument has six strings, that's true, but I wonder why the name of the original picture is called "Gibson bass.jpg"??

I think that the instrument might be based still on the EB-1 bass.

Kind regards,

Stijn

I found a picture of an old '60's vintage Teisco Del Ray EP7T model which had that same strange tailpiece. The pick-ups also look similar to what Teisco Del Ray used. That would be my best guess as to the brand based on the features. Teisco also had an "Audition" line which had a similar peghead and used that unusual string guide bar in front of the nut.

Archived