Gibson Brands Forums

How to Weld Using Guitar Strings

badbluesplayer

Looks like you got insuficient penetration for a good joint. Serves you right for trying to weld dissimilar materials with very different specific heat characteristics. Brazing would have been better.

but WHY???????

I did it by accident when I was changing the strings. There were a lot of sparks and a little tingling. Somehow I managed to unplug everything without getting zapped too bad.

Both the iphone charger and the active electronics in the guitar still seem to work fine.

I'm a pipe welder.

Nuclear - Petro Chemical - Pharmaceutical - Fossil - Semi Conductor.

Oh, and the occasional paper mill.

I too, have done my share of welding on several job sites. I always despised paper mills and coal -fired powerhouses, although I made lots of money on shut downs and outtages. I tried to gravitate more towards the orbital end as my eyes got worse. Eventually, I moved into HVAC and refrigeration service work. I will only weld now if I have to. [blink]

This is my preferred method of welding. Been running the GTAW remote video heads since 85.

orbital.jpg

That's cool. I took a beginner welding class and the first thing the guy said was that you'll never be any good until you spend a whole lot of time doing it.

I'm a pipe welder.

Nuclear - Petro Chemical - Pharmaceutical - Fossil - Semi Conductor.

Oh, and the occasional paper mill.

Reminds me of my old man. He was a plumber/welder for years. He worked on upgrades to the Harbor Beach, MI power plant and helped build the Belle River power plant in Michigan. By the nineties he was a line splicer, working for Detroit Edison. Not sure why he ditched welding. Maybe work dried up around that time? Now I hear there is a shortage of welders (as well as some other trades).

This is my preferred method of welding. Been running the GTAW remote video heads since 85.

orbital.jpg

Cool, I've never run that setup, although most of my orbital experience has been in a few pharmacuetical plants, and food processing ( Coca Cola, General Mills, Pepsi ). Most of my industrial gigs were as a hot welder in the coal fire plants.

I've run the Arc Machine tube welder in pharmaceutical and food processing.

That rig pictured is a Dimetrics Gold Track.

36" pipe - 3" wall - with a extended land root .0110. and a 1/2" cap. Narrow Groove as it's called.

The machine runs 360* both ways and carries two 10# spools of wire.

We're operating it from about 100' away remotely by cameras mounted fore and aft of the tungsten.

I have a PUK welder I use for jewelry kind of a different process and a whole lot smaller! won't do much on metal pipe but it sure makes repairing prongs on diamonds rings fast and easy and the argon prevents any scaling so no clean-up =D>

Although I do get teased a bit when I go buy argon since they think my tanks are so little but hey it looks just like a full size welding rig through it's microscope. [blush]

Archived