Gibson Brands Forums

1985 Mathias Jabs Custom Shop Explorer

Kevin Hughes

Hi, new here and looking for some info on my Explorer.

I bought the 1985 Mathias Jabs Custom Shop Explorer back in '86. It's a great guitar, but then I got married, had kids and basically just stopped playing. I just recently decided to sell it, but I can't seem to find any info about it. It's the white with black "Scorpions" stipes. Gold hardware and Humbuckers. Was it a limited edition, or anything special about it? Does anyone know what I can pull for this?

tia

Hi,

There was not really an official signature Mathias Jabs model. Total numbers are not available. If you can maybe post pictures, then I can check the serial number in our database and send you some more information about the specs.

Kind regards,

Stijn

Very cool. I believe I have seen a similar Ebay listing within the last year or so. My advice however, is to take "value" with a grain of salt. It has worth as an original '84 style explorer. The buyers who are interested in such may be willing to pay more (or less interested in it) by virtue of the Scorpions associatoon. All that is tempered with an absolute buyer's market at the moment. $5,000 guitars in 2007 are often NOT $5,000 guitars today (though they may be again in the future).

Very cool. I believe I have seen a similar Ebay listing within the last year or so. My advice however, is to take "value" with a grain of salt. It has worth as an original '84 style explorer. The buyers who are interested in such may be willing to pay more (or less interested in it) by virtue of the Scorpions associatoon. All that is tempered with an absolute buyer's market at the moment. $5,000 guitars in 2007 are often NOT $5,000 guitars today (though they may be again in the future).

I assumed the guy selling that one was just inflating the price. I just can't seem to find another one out there like it to compare value to.

Thanks

Hi,

There was not really an official signature Mathias Jabs model. Total numbers are not available. If you can maybe post pictures, then I can check the serial number in our database and send you some more information about the specs.

Kind regards,

Stijn

I tried to PM you, but I haven't posted enough to do so.

S/N is 83465530

Anything you could tell me about it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Archived