Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a real Epiphone?

Merf180

I buy storage units - started WAY before those stupid shows. Anyway.... I got this guitar yesterday, and it doesn't seem quite right - so before I try to sell it I want to make sure it's authentic. You just never know with storage unit finds and I always try to be as responsible as possible when identifying goodies. I do not want to misrepresent any item. I've learned - early on - that just because it says something on it doesn't mean that's what it is.

This looks like, from my research, a discontinued Epiphone Les Paul Special. Serial # is SJ02090610. The paint job appears airbrushed. Silver/black. What really bothers me is that on the headstock, where the tuning knobs attach, are holes for what appears to me to be for different tuning knobs (you can see them in the close up pic). Also, the knobs aren't aligned straight, in my opinion. I can't imagine Gibson putting out something looking sloppy like that. Of course, the original owner may have changed things. I just don't know what to think about it since I'm not a guitar player or collector.

I was hoping to get some honest opinions from you here - I can't imagine a better place to check this guitar out. Thank you very much!

594432203_o.jpg

594432221_o.jpg

594432163_o.jpg

594432233_o.jpg

594432136_o.jpg

594432296_o.jpg

594432311_o.jpg

594432282_o.jpg

594432252_o.jpg

594432149_o.jpg

Yup! Its legit. Custom paint, obviously. Aftermarket bridge pickup as well. The tuners have been replaced with higher quality Grovers like you would see on a set-neck Epiphone Les Paul. The holes are from the original stamped tuners. They arent very good, so these Grovers are definitely an improvement.

While the aftermarket tuners and bridge pickup would add a little more value to the guitar, the painjob detracts any extra value added by those items. Though, I should add that any value added is negligible. This is a $100 guitar all day long.

Yup! Its legit. Custom paint, obviously. Aftermarket bridge pickup as well. The tuners have been replaced with higher quality Grovers like you would see on a set-neck Epiphone Les Paul. The holes are from the original stamped tuners. They arent very good, so these Grovers are definitely an improvement.

While the aftermarket tuners and bridge pickup would add a little more value to the guitar, the painjob detracts any extra value added by those items. Though, I should add that any value added is negligible. This is a $100 guitar all day long.

AWESOME! I like $100 bills. Thanks for reassuring me, I really appreciate it. WooHOO!

My stock answer to these situations is: Do you like the way it plays (feels) sounds ? In that case keep it. Otherwise go to eBay with no promises. Pull the p'ups and see what they say on the back. Check the control cavity and look for identifiable printing on the backs of the pots. You may have run across a decent hybrid guitar. Good Luck. Addendum: I must agree with the $100.00 estimate. Keep the parts! It appears to be a Seymour "Invader" p'up.

Thanks for your input! I'm not a guitar player, it came from a storage unit auction, so it's on eBay now. Started it at $74.99 - for the trouble of shipping it, that's about the minimum I'll take since I have to go bum a box from the guitar store and packing guitars safely takes time and lots of packing material. It's had 42 looks and 4 watchers on it - so I'm sure it will sell. What for? We shall see! If somebody gets a little secret gem, or just wants it for parts then good for them!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived