Gibson Brands Forums

Which Gibson to take the place of my Martin?

PeteGalaxie

Right now I have a 2006 Martin OM-28V that hardly gets played. It's a great guitar, but I just don't think I'm a Martin guy. I recently got a Gibson L-1 Custom Shop and it is utterly fantastic! I really like the Gibson sound. Now I'm thinking of replacing the Martin with another Gibson. I've been checking out the J45-TV, the AJ and the J-185 TV. I play mostly fingerstyle blues but want something that can be versatile (strummed). Which Gibson sounds like it might be the best match for me - or should I keep the Martin? I know I need to go out and play them, but I just don't seem to get the time. Opinions? Comments?

Thanks!

Pete

From my experience, I've kicked myself in the *** for every guitar I've sold. There are times when I still wish I had a certain guitar that I sold even 30 years ago. By all means, get a suitable Gibson -- there are more well-seasoned voices here that will direct you accordingly. But, if you can afford to keep the Martin, my recommendation is to do so.

Good luck!

MJ

Before giving up on it..

Put a new set of your favorite strings on it & bash away for 4 hrs..you'll probably change your mind.

Acoustics seem to fall asleep when not in use ..and Martins need to be played to open up.

Those V necks are really good & comfortable...if that is whats on it.

What dont you like about it?

Before giving up on it..

Put a new set of your favorite strings on it & bash away for 4 hrs..you'll probably change your mind.

Acoustics seem to fall asleep when not in use ..and Martins need to be played to open up.

Those V necks are really good & comfortable...if that is whats on it.

What dont you like about it?

The Martin is a very comfortable guitar to play and I get along very well with the modified V neck. I'm not real sure what I don't like about it - maybe it sounds too "pretty", if that makes any sense at all! Then again, maybe it's just GAS. [biggrin]

My previous rosewood Martins had their shoes filled very well by a AJ [thumbup]

None of the J45 models were loud and powerfull enough for me after playing D28 variants so long. The AJ has the power and the tone is more like Tennessee whiskey Vrs the Martins sweet red wine. So yea I totally understand the " pretty" problem your describing lol

I think it's pretty decent that half of your first responses suggest not giving up on that Martin.

But your "too pretty sounding" comment is similar to my falling out of favor with the traditional Martin rosewood

sound. However, I just thought of it as not being into the "choir of angels" sound anymore. If the mahogany-backed nature

of an iconic Gibson doesn't take care of that, the shorter scale and sloped shoulder certainly will.

Think "J-45".

The 'too pretty' comment, Pete, is one I relate to. I've owned some great old Guild and Gibson flat tops and since I can't afford to 'collect' guitars, I strive to keep the number of guitars down while prioritizing for having the tone that best suits my playing style. Now I'm down to just a couple of 50's era Gibsons and 1 early 60's Martin D18 with a 'pretty' sound. Bell-like I'd say. I thought I would never bond with it for that reason, preferring the woody Gibson sound, but things have changed. I really like the counterpoint sound of the 'pretty' toned guitar, and would have regretted parting with it. You never know...maybe you'll get into learning some James Taylor and Cat Stevens songs. Don't be hasty.

I'd say the Martin sound is very accurate (precise noting across the board), full (no compression) and lush (tending to ring/sustain), depending on woods, body type etc. That could add up to 'pretty'. Kinda why I departed from my 000 this spring. Gibsons tend toward a boxier sound (compression?), less definition and a quicker decay. Archtop roots? That lush 0M sound works for the likes of John Renbourn and El McMeen. But not less so for Norman Blake or Jorma Kaukonen (ok, they play Martins, but Ms and 00s =less ring). Hope that helps.

I'd say the Martin sound is very accurate (precise noting across the board), full (no compression) and lush (tending to ring/sustain), depending on woods, body type etc. That could add up to 'pretty'. Kinda why I departed from my 000 this spring. Gibsons tend toward a boxier sound (compression?), less definition and a quicker decay. Archtop roots? That lush 0M sound works for the likes of John Renbourn and El McMeen. But not Norman Blake or Jorma Kaukonen (yeh, he's playing a Martin now, but one one of the driest in their line). Hope that helps.

Dead on description. Good one.

I'd say the Martin sound is very accurate (precise noting across the board), full (no compression) and lush (tending to ring/sustain), depending on woods, body type etc. That could add up to 'pretty'. Kinda why I departed from my 000 this spring. Gibsons tend toward a boxier sound (compression?), less definition and a quicker decay. Archtop roots? That lush 0M sound works for the likes of John Renbourn and El McMeen. But not Norman Blake or Jorma Kaukonen (yeh, he's playing a Martin now, but one one of the driest in their line). Hope that helps.

Good description. I'm in a fingerpicking mode these days, and I struggle to play more bluesy and roots-oriented stuff on my 000-28 EC. I put it aside for the L-OO, which sounds more authentic for this type of music. "Almost too pretty" is an apt way to put it.

I'm doing the same - playing some J-45s and AJs and trying to decide which one. In reality, you can't go wrong with either. I think I'm leaning towards the AJ because I played one at the local music shop and was very impressed with it. Very comfortable and playable and a beautiful sound. It's one of those guitars that's hard to put back up on the wall and walk out of the store. At least you're not trying to decide which Cort do I want.

"Martins are like loyal squires ready to serve whatever plan, idea or direction laid out.

With Gibsons, you have a co-star joining you on stage".

A member here said that at some point, , , , think it was me.

And I stand by it. My respect for the discrete, in many ways modest Marts is huge, exactly for that reason.

The more flamboyant, slightly eccentric G.'s make me wanna flirt them up again and again. In love half crazed.

Oboys, just like 's on this level also. . .

I hated my Martins. (HD-28...00028EC...and a few others...all to dark and grumbly. I sold them all except for my Martin J-40 rosewood. Only the J-40 Martin is balanced and sweet without the muddy sound of other Martins. Gibsons amd masterbilt guitars produce the best sound and tone with balance of lows mids and highs. Get rid of those nasty Martins...I played mine for years trying to convince myself I had the best. I don't miss them a bit. But my Gibson and masterbilt AJ models I could not live with out...what a breath of fresh air they are from those fall asleep boring looking toneless grumbling Martins.Waste no time. Get a Gibson AJ and be happy. You'll never know guitars could sound so pleasant and wonderful.

I hated my Martins. (HD-28...00028EC...and a few others...all to dark and grumbly. I sold them all except for my Martin J-40 rosewood. Only the J-40 Martin is balanced and sweet without the muddy sound of other Martins. Gibsons amd masterbilt guitars produce the best sound and tone with balance of lows mids and highs. Get rid of those nasty Martins...I played mine for years trying to convince myself I had the best. I don't miss them a bit. But my Gibson and masterbilt AJ models I could not live with out...what a breath of fresh air they are from those fall asleep boring looking toneless grumbling Martins.Waste no time. Get a Gibson AJ and be happy. You'll never know guitars could sound so pleasant and wonderful.

Ouch!

Of course the total antithesis of Martin sound would have maple back and sides. Martin never really went for maple much.

However I do agree with some others: just get a J-45! They are great guitars and very different from Martin. Even if you don't bond with it you can easily trade it away. Good intro to Gibson.

I recently almost traded off my Martin for another guitar. I backed off at the last minute. I just cant let it go. I am going to save for the guitar I wanted. I dont know what I was thinking. I took it out to inspect it before the trade and started strumming it. About an hour later I was still playing it and I realized that I can not imagine any acoustic guitar sounding better than this one does. I know this is a Gibson board and I know Gibson is top notch in all that they do, but I dont think anything can ever replace my Martin.

I'd say the Martin sound is very accurate (precise noting across the board), full (no compression) and lush (tending to ring/sustain), depending on woods, body type etc. That could add up to 'pretty'. Kinda why I departed from my 000 this spring. Gibsons tend toward a boxier sound (compression?), less definition and a quicker decay. Archtop roots? That lush 0M sound works for the likes of John Renbourn and El McMeen. But not less so for Norman Blake or Jorma Kaukonen (ok, they play Martins, but Ms and 00s =less ring). Hope that helps.

Bingo.

Play them of course, but I'd guess J45 or AJ is going to suit you well.

I'm kind of new here, but I'll add my two pennies. I was just looking for a short scale rosewood guitar to replace my Martin D-35. I found and absolutely love my new-to-me '07 Gibson J-45rw. It is everything I was looking for...but I'm not so sure the D-35 is going down the road. Even though they're the same body size and woods, they still maintain their signature sounds. Some days I enjoy that ringing Martin sound, and some days I prefer the thumpy, bluesy sound of my maple Guild. All that said the Gibson is played the most right now, but hey, it's a new toy!

I'm kind of new here, but I'll add my two pennies. I was just looking for a short scale rosewood guitar to replace my Martin D-35. I found and absolutely love my new-to-me '07 Gibson J-45rw. It is everything I was looking for...but I'm not so sure the D-35 is going down the road. Even though they're the same body size and woods, they still maintain their signature sounds. Some days I enjoy that ringing Martin sound, and some days I prefer the thumpy, bluesy sound of my maple Guild. All that said the Gibson is played the most right now, but hey, it's a new toy!

Sounds like a wise and fulfilling trio don't let any corner go.

Welcome here.

Of course you might need some hog.

Archived