Gibson Brands Forums

Another serial number topic

Mongol

So I have this Gibson that has been sitting in the case for way too long. It is a Korina Explorer and serial number is 80613524.

Is this really a 1983 Gibson Explorer Korina from the Limited Edition line? The information I have found on line indicates it should be.

Any information would be appreciated

Thanks

The Korina V's I've seen from the early 80's run had a different serial number system. It had a letter prefix (usually "A" or "B"), and then 3 or four numbers behind it, which was ink stamped on the top/back of the headstock.

As with most Gibson serial number systems, there is ALWAYS the possibility of "exceptions"!

The Korina V's I've seen from the early 80's run had a different serial number system. It had a letter prefix (usually "A" or "B"), and then 3 or four numbers behind it, which was ink stamped on the top/back of the headstock.

As with most Gibson serial number systems, there is ALWAYS the possibility of "exceptions"!

I recently bought an 84 explorer with a standard serial number like yours. I called Gibson and was told that their serial number system can't identify type of wood used prior to 1990. If your serial # is 80613524 than it was made in Nashville, TN on March 2nd, 1983 and was the 24th guitar made that day.

My explorer had a route job done to it, so I took it to my luthier who then discovered that it was a Korina explorer. I was happy, because I bought it so cheap. Turns out it is much more valuable than what i could have imagined. We contacted several wood craftsman, and luthiers who confirmed this fact. It had a black opaque laqueur paint job on it which blew my mind.

Gibson has always been inconsistent with things like this, they are always changing things. Especially in that era when they transferred ownership, some guitars were made in nashville, some in kalamazoo.

Pics would be cool, I am going to add some when I get it back.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Grr... I hate 'puters!!!

Now that I am back up and on-line here we go.

It also has the initials under the cover. Kind of an interesting thing to find. Although mine does not appear to be a womans (unless I am reading this wrong

post-45951-034442000 1344904858_thumb.jpg

post-45951-019823400 1344904879_thumb.jpg

There is a bit of discussion about these having names under the neck cavity. Mine has the initial MS under the bell plate (if that is what it is called) att he top of the neck and then this in the neck cavity. Maybe it was supposed to be black and they left it natural finish?

post-45951-080759700 1344907310_thumb.jpg

Archived