Gibson Brands Forums

Ernie Ball Cobalt

CowboyBillyBob1

I just installed Ernie Ball Cobalt strings on my 2012 LP Standard. It resulted in sweeter highs and deeper lows not to mention increased output. These strings rock! You owe it to yourself to at least give them a try. I will see how they hold up in the long run. Dare I say the best string on initial installation I have tried so far.

On another note I now use Big Bends Nut Sauce whenever I change strings. It has made a big difference on tuning stability on all my guitars, acoustic and electric. It’s not just graphite but silicon and something else (I forget). Put it on your nut and saddle and you will be a happy puppy.

I just installed Ernie Ball Cobalt strings on my 2012 LP Standard. It resulted in sweeter highs and deeper lows not to mention increased output. These strings rock! You owe it to yourself to at least give them a try. I will see how they hold up in the long run. Dare I say the best string on initial installation I have tried so far.

On another note I now use Big Bends Nut Sauce whenever I change strings. It has made a big difference on tuning stability on all my guitars, acoustic and electric. It’s not just graphite but silicon and something else (I forget). Put it on your nut and saddle and you will be a happy puppy.

Nut Sauce is a gotta have for your tool kit, definitely.

I waltzed in to the local store yesterday, with the intent on cobalt strings. Did they stock them? nope! do they plan to? Nope! ...sigh...

Actually I was just ranting.

I ordered 2 sets from www.juststrings.com this morning, That's where I usually buy all my strings anyway, (they're just over the border up in New Hampshire, takes about two days to get the order from where I am in central mass)

So as I was driving right by the store yesterday, thought I'd try just doing it the "old school" way. a decent store, I was surprised when the guy there told me, "we'd have to stop ordering something else to get a new string product in." Okay.......... Never mind then....

Should get them by the weekend, sort of looking forward to trying them. I've used D'Addrio XL 10s for so long now...

I have pot these strings on all my electric guitars and they are without a doubt the best ever.

I dont understand why btoth76 did not get it. They immediately feel better on your fingers. Way silky and smooth.

Hello! I'd be glad to say they are way better than everything else I've used yet. Unfortunately, I can't. I don't feel that the difference so significant. They are good strings, indeed. Revolutionary? No. But it makes me happy if You are excited about them. Enjoy them with good health! :) Cheers... Bence

They immediately feel better on your fingers. Way silky and smooth.

ordered 2 sets yesterday, and It usually takes 2 days for Juststrings orders to get here, which is excellent, now they've even beaten that, they'll be in today's mail. Why do we buy online instead of the mom and pop stores? this is why! they have EVERYTHING and the delivery is elrapido.. so I'll prolly put a set on one my Pauls today.

Why do we buy online instead of the mom and pop stores? this is why! they have EVERYTHING and the delivery is elrapido..

Yeah, I went to GC to get mine.... and I HATE going there, but it is the ONLY store close to me in the Boston metro area that actually has things like the EB cobalts and current Gibsons in stock.....

Daddy's is gone now, that's okay though their customer service sucked, and my usual haunt can't afford to be a "Authorized Dealer" because of the ridiculous overhead/ordering requirements involved.

There are some great independent stores here in the city, and I shop them as much as possible, Sometimes you just gotta go where what you want is.

I ordered a box of them in 9s, one of 10s and two boxes of 11s... even before they arived you could tell they were different and better than any other string ever made.

When they got here I couldn't believe it, I opened a package and the smell was great, like cotton candy mixed with scotch for the 9s and 10s... 11s smelled like pizza. Great first impression.

Upon installing them (9s) on the first guitar (les paul) I noticed the installation process was faster, don't know why, these strings just make it easier.

Plugged, played an E minor chord and was blown away by the magnificent tone these strings provide, full warm tone with glassy but punchy highs and tight lows, mids are the best, my guitar will be noticed above every other instrument even when the amp's volume is down.

Tried 11's next on a strat... oh my god! They made it sound like a les paul! My RS signature Marshall was finally giving me the artist's tone!

I have yet to try 10s but I just know they will be as amazing and wonderful... I can't imagine why and how nobody had come up with these string before! Maybe they have been used by artists like Slash and Page forever and just now they decided to let us all in on it?

Best thing is, these strings make you play better! Yes, for 18 years I'd tried to nail the solo for Nirvana's "Come as you are" and never did it... with these strings I nailed that solo in just one week of practicing to youtube tutorials! They are amazing and they are all that is string... they pack the tone of the giants and gods of guitar and rock n rololol, you won't find any bieber tone with these, you'll find Slash tone, Page tone and even Frank tone. I guess if you use them on an acoustic you can even get Denver tone.

I ain't never going back to normal strings. Never. Ever.

Here's a pair of cool purple filter eyeglasses for those who need them to read the above statement.

LS-S806-66B_lg.jpg

Yeah, I went to GC to get mine.... and I HATE going there, but it is the ONLY store close to me in the Boston metro area that actually has things like the EB cobalts and current Gibsons in stock.....

Daddy's is gone now, that's okay though their customer service sucked, and my usual haunt can't afford to be a "Authorized Dealer" because of the ridiculous overhead/ordering requirements involved.

There are some great independent stores here in the city, and I shop them as much as possible, Sometimes you just gotta go where what you want is.

I yes, the Beantown GC store, on the fens, go by there a lot, haven't been in that one yet, since they moved it anyway.

I yes, the Beantown GC store, on the fens, go by there a lot, haven't been in that one yet, since they moved it anyway.

Yeah, it;s nice, I mean it's GC, they all kinda look the same.

If I HAVE to go there,I always try to go on a weekday morning, avoid the Aural pummeling of all the Sat A.M. Noodelers.

So I tried these out on my '95 LP Standard. They ARE different. First thing I noticed is they have an aged look to them, out of the packaging, a bit darker than a new set of Nickel strings are. (sort of like half round chromes)

Once I got em on, and tuned up, they seem to stretch and settle down very quickly. Within a few minutes they were stable, and held tuning. Quicker than any nickel string I've used.

Straight into my Marshall and my Goldtone GA30RVS, with my LP's stock (490r/498t) pickups, I had my usually LP tone, only more of it. Crisper, clearer, more snap.

Touch wise they feel a bit different then nickle and are more responsive. Legato runs are the most noticeable, notes "pop" out with more definition. When you dig into them with alternate picking runs, the notes have more articulation. Pinch harmonics are easier to get out.

Overall assessment, a great string innovation, Are they superior to nickel strings? I think so. It's sort of like comparing a inexpensive cable to a high end cable where you'll note more clarity and punch.

Don't know how they will stand up to some hours of playing, but hopefully they last long enough to make the added expense worth. I'll be using them on all my electrics.

If you haven't done so yet, try a set on your #1 axe, and give em a go. [thumbup]

/KB

I'm going on about week two with the set I tried.

They're not falling off as far as clarity.

There is a notable difference in clarity.

if anything I think the ones I put on my SG sound better as the week has gone by, Longevity with be the deciding factor.

but like many of us here i am about 90% sold on these.

Archived