Gibson Brands Forums

Saw the LTD i am getting, very awesome guitar, it has a floyd, the only thing i hate about it is the EMGs

FenderGuy1

Why do you hate EMGs?

Not sayin' that they're the best or anything, but just asking. Have you played EMGs before? Never know until you try!

The metal stereotype is totally.....a stereotype....David Gilmour uses em' for cryin' out loud!

Buy the batteries in bulk, a pair of Gibson humbuckers will cost over $200 compared to the cost of a cheap big pack of 9v's from Costco. Personally not a fan of actives but hey, you're getting a new guitar handed to you man! I had to save for 2 years to get my SG, you should be happy with whatever you get (so long as it's not a Chinese Gibson [flapper] )

Great, now im gonna have to spend 1000 dolalrs on batteries :(

One thousand dollars on batteries? Depending on play use, the 9v gets replaced 2x a year max or can be replaced every year/every other unless you leave a guitar jacked-in all the time (great tripping hazard and begging for a headstock repair). So, if you have other uses for 9v in the house, then you are taking 1-2 out of a 5 pack every year. Planning on jamming until 2248 or do you know something about peak 9Vs the rest of the world doesn't? Now take the cost of the replacement pickups, pots and wiring since you need a whole new passive layout, plus installation and you are in the hole $200-$400 (depending on parts used).

If there is a passive brand you KNOW you want for your sound, pay the price and do what you like, but what you stated is foolish. The smart thing to do is actually play the guitar until the first battery runs out. Figure out if you like the tone or not. If not, ask yourself what the problem is, the pickups, the guitar, YOU, or a combination. You may like the pickups and pay nothing. Then again you may not like the tone but come to realized the $250 upgrade is not going to improve the axe to the point it's worth the upgrade and simply sell/trade the stock guitar for what works better. People who switch crap right off the bat (without knowing specifically what they want) lose the education of what sounds better/worse (for them) and they usually sell at losses and buy 2-3 times to get what they would have gotten with some patience and experience dialing.

Why do you hate EMGs?

Not sayin' that they're the best or anything, but just asking. Have you played EMGs before? Never know until you try!

The metal stereotype is totally.....a stereotype....David Gilmour uses em' for cryin' out loud!

This.

Some of them sound great, they are good not only for metal but for everything else, just snoop through their artist/user lists and you'll see everything from jazz to black metal gets played with them. The metal thing is just something they use to boost sales to a segment that is easier to convince using words like "mayhem", "powerful" and such...

Do they need batteries anyway, if so i am gonna swap them out for passive

I use EMGs on some guitars, my main guitar that gets used at least 6 hours on a daily basis (the whole year 'round) has 2 EMG circuits: t-set pikcups and AB afterburner booster, I change the battery once a year, not because I need to but because I don't want to risk it running out somewhere I can't change it, it's supposed to last 2 years under less heavy use. [thumbup]

So at most you are seeing some 20 bucks in batteries in 10 years. [thumbup]

Buy the batteries in bulk, a pair of Gibson humbuckers will cost over $200 compared to the cost of a cheap big pack of 9v's from Costco. Personally not a fan of actives but hey, you're getting a new guitar handed to you man! I had to save for 2 years to get my SG, you should be happy with whatever you get (so long as it's not a Chinese Gibson [flapper] )

This is what I do, buy the 50 battery pack, it ends up being really cheap. [thumbup]

BTW FenderGuy, not all EMGs use batteries, there are passive EMGs too and they come with most of the EMG loaded cheaper guitars, they used to be called EMG Hz, don't know if they are still called that, not bad compared to what comes with guitars in the price range: duncan designed, generic, fender MEX, and such.

EMG's suck, if you have a cheapo guitar they are great but if its a good guitar then dont even bother with EMG's.

In your opinion.

EMGs aren't my favorite pickups, not because they "suck", but because they don't have the sound I hear in my head. That being said, I would use them if the situation called for em'.

You are so right, you know i think i might name my kid after you because your posts are always spot on, true and straight foward.

EMGs aren't my favorite pickups, not because they "suck", but because they don't have the sound I hear in my head. That being said, I would use them if the situation called for em'.

Thanks!

To me (and remember this is all personal opinion/preference), EMG's make every guitar sound the same. I've played the same EMG's in an LP style guitar, a more modern "Superstrat" style, and an Explorer style, through the same amp, and they all sounded identical. Which can be good or bad depending on your situation. But they just sound sterile and "fake" to me. Wolfetones all the way for me.

EMG's suck, if you have a cheapo guitar they are great but if its a good guitar then dont even bother with EMG's.

EMG's only suck if you suck as a guitar player.... I can make a set of EMG's do whatever I want, and I'm not that good.

EMG's only suck if you suck as a guitar player.... I can make a set of EMG's do whatever I want, and I'm not that good.

Not to put down your opinion...but didn't you kind of just contradict yourself? You said that EMG's only suck if you aren't a good guitar player, but you just said you aren't very good. I'm just confused by your example.

i will just use it for its dark sound lol

Actually, they're very dark. They have a nice chunk and thump when paired with certain amps, but they are actually very clean. A little more sterile than passive pickups, but it depends on what you're looking for.

They have a nice low end, but it's tight and clear. Not a dark low end. PAF-style pickups are darker IMHO.

Archived