Gibson Brands Forums

Saw the LTD i am getting, very awesome guitar, it has a floyd, the only thing i hate about it is the EMGs

FenderGuy1

Not to put down your opinion...but didn't you kind of just contradict yourself? You said that EMG's only suck if you aren't a good guitar player, but you just said you aren't very good. I'm just confused by your example.

LOL!!!

I dont suck, well at least on most days..... But being a guitar player that isn't very good, I can make EMG's do what I want them to do, even though they are not my favorite pups

Actually, they're very dark. They have a nice chunk and thump when paired with certain amps, but they are actually very clean. A little more sterile than passive pickups, but it depends on what you're looking for.

They have a nice low end, but it's tight and clear. Not a dark low end. PAF-style pickups are darker IMHO.

Perfect description of an EMG.

Most of my recordings were done with guitars loaded with EMG81's even though at that time Dimarzio Super D's were my pup of choice in live environments

Perfect description of an EMG.

Most of my recordings were done with guitars loaded with EMG81's even though at that time Dimarzio Super D's were my pup of choice in live environments

Ah, the 80s! Where's my big hair and my dummy-loaded rack system?

Speaking of Super D's, they are my one of my favorite pickups (at least for the bridge position). Super Distortions were the pickup of choice until the mid/late 80s when EMGs and overwound Alnico humbuckers (like the Seymour Duncan JB and DiMarzio's PAF Pro) became popular for hard rock and heavy metal. Nowadays, it seems that vintage style pickups as well as active pickups and high output "metal humbuckers" are the pickups of choice (DiMarzio D Activators for example). Not a lot of newer players seem to use Super Distortions. I think a Les Paul with a Super Distortion, a cranked Marshall JMP, and the MXR Distortion+ pedal is the sound of the late-70s/early-80s. Despite what some may say, they cover a lot of ground. Everyone from Frehley to Di Meola to Tipton used them. Dave Murray and Adrian Smith still use them. I wouldn't call them a modern metal chug pickup, but they're still a metal pickup to me. Probably the best for classic metal (U.F.O., Scorpions, old-school Ozzy, etc) and NWOBHM stuff.

Sorry for straying off the EMG topic, but I just wanted to express my love for the Super Distortion.

Hey Duane, care to pass a 58 strat to me? i want to pay homage to Buddy Holly

You should know that just a guitar is of a certain vintage doesn't mean every one that you find will be good. Not all 58' Strats are good guitars. There's some dogs out there, some so-sos, and some really great ones. I try my best not to "listen with my eyes". I bet I could find a late-70s Les Paul Standard that will beat certain Bursts.

Maybe someone should hand me a early-70s Strat so I can pay homage to Robin Trower (whom you should look up. If you dig Hendrix, you'll most likely dig Trower)? No. Pay homage to Buddy Holly by learning his tunes and using his influence on your own stuff. The gear can come when you have the credibility. Most of the time, it's just nostalgia anyways. Most Strats should nail the Holly tone. And if you want a 58' style Strat, instead of dropping lots of money for a vintage one, or paying 2-3 grand for a Custom Shop model, get a Nash S-57. Way more playable than the reissue models IMHO. I want a flatter radius and large frets right outta the gate. And they're really the only pre-aged guitars I like.

And as far as Duane not owning any Fenders goes, it's all preference, buddy. Duane has more experience than a lot of us, so he should know what he likes and doesn't like!

He has already stated that he likes the sound and look, but not the feel.

I just found a windows 2000 computer in the trash, someone uninstalled windows so i reinstalled it with an ISO disk, and btw, the gear i need, a 58 strat and a high powered tweed deluxe

You sound like my stepdad! LOL! He has a lot of computer-related stuff in his garage.

And you don't need a 58' Strat, you want a 58' Strat. Just get a MIM Strat for now. I have one and they're just as good as the American ones.

As far as high-powered tweed Deluxe, they never made em'! You may be referring to the high-powered Twin. The circa-57' Deluxe circuit is easy to build if you're good with electronics. In fact, if you're still interested in amp repair, etc, start off by building a Champ clone. One on/off switch, two inputs, and a volume knob. That's all you need!

Archived