Gibson Brands Forums

Epihponic preamp XLX socket

craiguitar

Hi all,

On the sales blurb for my Epiphone Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter model electro, it describes the 'Epiphonic' preamp as having a High Z jack and a Low Z XLR output.

However, the XLR on mine appears to be an input. I had always assumed it was supposed to be. Can anyone clarify?

Hi all,

On the sales blurb for my Epiphone Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter model electro, it describes the 'Epiphonic' preamp as having a High Z jack and a Low Z XLR output.

However, the XLR on mine appears to be an input. I had always assumed it was supposed to be. Can anyone clarify?

I cant for the life of me think of a reason to have an in-put on a guitar. How do you know it's line in? [confused]

I cant for the life of me think of a reason to have an in-put on a guitar. How do you know it's line in? [confused]

It was putting nothing out, so I tested it by plugging in a microphone, which then worked, so I guessed that the XLR was some sort of input for an external mic, so you could blend the piezo with a real mic. This actually seemed to work, although for me, totally useless.

Well, an update.... I've just actually figured it out. The XLR DOES work as an output, but ONLY if you are plugging into the jack as well, so you need to complete the circuit for the preamp to work. The XLR puts out a Line signal which is not affected by the controls on the guitar itself. (no EQ / Volume control etc)

Therefore, yes it is effectively a built in DI box, that can be used only if you are also using the jack socket. It's still not much use to me, because I don't plug direct into the desk when playing live, I plug straight into my own preamp via the jack.

Archived