Gibson Brands Forums

how to place the string ends on a L5 tailpiece

JazzNote

after some decades of professinal playing i'm coming up with a somewhat stupid sounding question.

how should the ballends of strings be placed in a L5 tailpiece - the hole facing towards the top of the guitar or rather to the side?post-901-039695100 1343907114_thumb.jpg

what are the advantages of the two positions?

does it affect the sound at all?

what do the technicians recommend?

TIA,

JazzNote

It should not make a difference, but personally I would lean toward having the ball-end oriented the way you have it in the picture. The most important thing it always getting the string properly and securely installed on the machine head at the other end of the instrument.

after some decades of professinal playing i'm coming up with a somewhat stupid sounding question.

how should the ballends of strings be placed in a L5 tailpiece - the hole facing towards the top of the guitar or rather to the side?post-901-039695100 1343907114_thumb.jpg

what are the advantages of the two positions?

does it affect the sound at all?

what do the technicians recommend?

TIA,

JazzNote

I prefer to put them in flat (hole towards top), but they stay in either way and no, it doesn't affect the sound. If you put them in flat you you can more easily use a fingertip to find if they are well seated--they other way they will all stick out somewhat, seated or not.

Danny W.

As usual, my opinion is contrary to everything written above.

I very deliberately, and specifically, string my L-5 (and any other "trapeze" type tailpiece guitars) with the holes facing sideways..... for two reasons:

1. The curve of the ball end on the string and the curve of the bent tailpiece flange will match.

2. The wide portion of double string between the ball end and the twist is not bent and stressed by the sides of the slot.

As usual, my opinion is contrary to everything written above.

I very deliberately, and specifically, string my L-5 (and any other "trapeze" type tailpiece guitars) with the holes facing sideways..... for two reasons:

1. The curve of the ball end on the string and the curve of the bent tailpiece flange will match.

2. The wide portion of double string between the ball end and the twist is not bent and stressed by the sides of the slot.

I just checked a few guitars and found out that I've actually put them on either way, sometimes on the same guitar, so never mind. <_<

OTOH, I've never ever had a string break, not counting restringing accidents, and I change strings as seldom as I can, so I doubt that stress on the string is a significant factor.

Danny W.

Thank you all for the much appreciated input. I find it interesting that there's no official recommendation by the guys who manufacture the tailpiece. However, now that i pay attention to it, the "hole sideways" way seems to be personally the right way for me, as it means less strain on portions of the string itself.

JN

• 7 years later...

Hi there. I may sound as the dummiest guy on Earth, but it's been a nightmare restringing my Gibson es 275 . I couldnt secure strings in the Tailpiece , could not find how while I was trying  to tune , so I had to pull the  string in tension while trying to place it in the headstock. I'm pretty sure I missed something. I searched the web, tutorials..I found nothing..Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Edited by Harry1977

3 hours ago, Harry1977 said:

Hi there. I may sound as the dummiest guy on Earth, but it's been a nightmare restringing my Gibson es 275 . I couldnt secure strings in the Tailpiece , could not find how while I was trying  to tune , so I had to pull the  string in tension while trying to place it in the headstock. I'm pretty sure I missed something. I searched the web, tutorials..I found nothing..Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Not a dumb question. So you're changing strings. How to keep the ball end of a new string from falling out of a trapeze tailpiece while you're trying to put the other end of the string in the tuner at the headstock.  My solution is to change strings with the guitar laying on a table. I get the string seated in the tailpiece and then use a capo around the 6th fret or so to hold the string in place (with enough tension on it to keep from falling out) while I deal with the tuning machine at the headstock. Might not be the most elegant or best way but it works well for me.

I'd be curious to hear how others do differently.  

Edited by Blazorge

I always positioned the hole facing up, just because it seemed that it seated itself in the tailpiece best that way.  They do tend to fall out while you are measuring the string length and trimming it, then threading through the key.  Sometimes I put a piece of cotton polish cloth sort of wadded up between the tailpiece and the body just to keep it in place until I get some tension on the string from the tuning key.  I like Blazorge's idea of using a capo and might try that next string change.