Gibson Brands Forums

Is this an original???

wojmig

Hello,

I recently found a very nice Gibson Les Paul Doublecut that I would like to buy, but since it is hard to find information about older (out of production) Les Pauls and as I far as I know there are quite a few fake Gibsons on the second hand market I wanted to ask You for Your opinion about this particular model. After a solid internet search I do think that this one is an original, but I am not very experienced when it comes to distinguish an original from a fake Gibson so I would appreciate Your help.

Greetings Wojtek

post-45995-037288200 1343928199_thumb.jpg

post-45995-031401200 1343928212_thumb.jpg

post-45995-012160600 1343928225_thumb.jpg

post-45995-019648900 1343928239_thumb.jpg

post-45995-022954200 1343928250_thumb.jpg

Hello,

I recently found a very nice Gibson Les Paul Doublecut that I would like to buy, but since it is hard to find information about older (out of production) Les Pauls and as I far as I know there are quite a few fake Gibsons on the second hand market I wanted to ask You for Your opinion about this particular model. After a solid internet search I do think that this one is an original, but I am not very experienced when it comes to distinguish an original from a fake Gibson so I would appreciate Your help.

Greetings Wojtek

The first photo confirms that it's real.....

Thanks for the replay. Unfortunately I have no return policy option and I could not play it (the seller is around 10h away from my place), and I also do not have a picture of the back of the neck. The price is around $1300 and a Gibson case is included. Thanks a lot once again.

yeah, for me its hard to say if its real or not by the pictures cause all the spots i need to see arent in them. the vin and the case could be fake. yeah tradetang or whatever is called is proof. they are all chinese made and say made is us and come with gibson cases. for me if i could see the gead stock better to check for black paint drops and the back of the neck to see if it has like a slash on it then i could tell because gibson has one piece necks and the cut is a dead giveaway...if its real that would be awesome. you tube real gibson vs chinese gibson, thats a start. good luck and may the force be with you.

oh ps if its fake and you still want it, dont give anything more than 300.

oh and what year did he say it was? im not sure if im reading the vin right but i think it says its a 2007, if thats the case then there should be info on it. so to me thats a red flag...i feel like its fake...i hope its not because it is a nice looking guitar.

I just looked at tradetang and looked at some of their guitars and I saw, that they now even make nibs by the frets, which often was claimed to be a sure indication for a real Gibson. So if they can get this right I guess they can get the neck right too. This one has no nibs and my biggest concern was if such an model with such spec was ever in production (I mean root beer top, crown headstock inlay, body binding but no neck binding). The seller told me (after sending me some additional pictures, but one of the headstock-neck transition was not included) that I should send them to Gibson (that he did it too) to confirm that it is an original. But as I understand it, the pictures, that I have posted do not indicate, that it is a fake, right? I mean the headstock "ears" are like they should be (many fakes did not have them) and the Gibson crown and logo seem to be original too? After all even with the right neck headstock transition (means one piece) it still could be a fake but at the same a decent guitar. I mean even GnR Appetite for Destruction was recorded with a copy an Mr. Slash still uses it.

Hello My Friends in Gibson! This is 100% original. Look at headstock logo and inlay - perfect. The cutaway: binding doesn't covers the cap-body joint - as typical for recently made natural colored Gibsons. Hardware correct. No doubt. Cheers... Bence

yeah, from the pics to me it looks real. to be honest, as bad as it sounds and i get heat on it, i own a chinese gibson. i havent put it up here but its so close to looking real its scarry. i love it though, it sounds amazing now, i did do some changes to it but its great. so if its real, its awesome. if its a fake, i believe it has potential to sound great if it doesnt already. i just dont want anyone to pay gibson prices for a fake guitar you know.

and i think the chinese gibsons will always have that notch at the neck because its too much work to make a one piece.

Hello! Chinese "Gibsons", well. Those are probably closer to an Epi, but very far from a real Gibson. Getting one of those chinese counterfeits is gambling: either You get an useless piece of cr@p, or an entry-level guitar. Even with the latter case You have to make so many mods (pot the pickups, completely rewire it, refret) it really makes no sense getting one. Considering all the hassle and investment, it's wiser to buy a Melody Maker. They are cheap, but good enough to be called Gibsons. Cheers... Bence

yeah lol i knew people would call me things like that for having one....well this is how i got mine before you judge lol. there was this kid right? and he wanted a gibson so bad that he bought one, it turned out to be a fake. i meet him at guitar center while i was buying strings, he was asking what he could do to make it sound better and the people said to just trow it away. at that time i had two gibsons a studio and a custom. the studio was my first guitar and i love my custom. so this is what i did. i talked to him for awhile and i felt bad for him, he bought it on that list you know...it belongs to craig. so i gave him my real gibson les paul studio with p90s for his fake chinese gibson les paul gold top . so anyway i recently just realized that i still had it under my bed so i put in some pearly gates, changed the pots, the works, and i believe it sounds amazing now. i dont believe i am a very good guitar player but an amateur i know i am not. the spare parts i put on that chibson i got from another guitar i own that was given to me by a certain guy named....joe lol hes pretty good i think lol. so i say if you want a chinese gibson yeah be prepared to put in some money...(not alot really) but if you want a great guitar that comes great and if you buy it new it comes with a warenty get a Gibson. if you have a fender get a gibson lol. if you have money get a gibson if you dont, do what you want, save or whatever, if you drive 10hrs and you want it and it turnes out to be a fake, you deside do you want to most likely fix it or take like 3 month to save for one....i am not a patient guy, if i drove there and its not real im buying it but not for anything over 300. end of story.

Hello! Please don't get me wrong, I am not judging You by this. I just wanted to warn others who are thinking of getting one of those. It's risky (getting one unseen) and doesn't worth not even 300 bucks. :) Cheers... Bence

lol yeah no no totally yeah i just read it and yeah i feel you lol i mean like ive looked at other gibson forums and people go crazy on other people who own chinese gibsons. i things its horrible that its hard to find a guitar that you want and when you find it its a fake is horrible and it might be depressing. lol yeah sorry i didnt mean it to you yeah i was like whoa when i read it sorry really hahaha im just saying people get crazy hahaha

I just got an answer from Gibson (Mr. Marcelo Pineda) after I send them pictures of the one I want to buy and Mr. Pineda told me, that to him it is an original. So I guess I am gonna buy it.

As for Chinese Gibson fakes I also have one (a copy of Les Paul Supreme with root beer top), I bought it, because I thought that it might be a original, but I payed around $500. I kind of like it, the sound is ok if played through an amp, but does not sound nice if played "unamplified" what I do a lot, so I am trying to sell it as a fake as it is. It can easily be spotted as a fake, because I know a lot more than I did back when I was buying it. Here is a sound sample if eny of You is interested in, it was recorded with two mikes (Shure Beta Green BG 2.1 and BG 5.1) and played through an Marshall 4100 JCM 900 Dual Gain Reverb and a 1960 cabinet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAgoqCWoZlY&feature=plcp . Please forgive me my playing, for I have been so concentrating on the recording that my playing suffered.

By the way I also own 4 Fenders two Strats one USA and one MIJ and two Precision Deluxe Basses one USA and one MIJ, and there is no chance that I get rid of them, for they are great. I am still looking for a Les Paul Supreme but for a used one, since the ones that are being produced now do not have ebony fretboards but made of some sort of plastic (artificial material) what I do believe to be very wrong on such an superb instrument as the Supreme Les Paul.

Hello Wojtek! That plastic is called richlite. It's a composite material. It was used by Martin guitars for long years. If it was good for Martin, You shouldn't be afraid of having it on Your Gibson either... :) Cheers... Bence

Hello Bence,

Well I guess richlite is a fine material an Martin guitars are also great instruments, but I still prefer wood and as for acoustic guitars I like Lakewood, for they use only wood for their instruments, even binding is made of wood. But I guess this is why there are many manufacturers of instruments so to suite everybody's preferences. Greetings Wojtek

• 3 weeks later...

Archived