Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Cables

CowboyBillyBob1

When I got my amp setup and SG back in April, I went with two Mogami Gold cables.

A 10' and 18' one, and then later got a 6' one for the wireless setup.

I also have 5 of their 10" pedal patch cables.

Mogami Gold Instrument Cable with One Straight End and One Right Angle End - 6 feet

Mogami Gold Instrument 01RR Pedal/Accessories Cable R/A Ends 10 tip-to-tip

I recently read about a Planet Waves cable that is good quality that makes a distinctive snap when you insert it into the guitar, so I bought a 10' one to try out.

Planet Waves American Stage Guitar and Instrument Cable, 10 feet

Much cheaper than the Mogami, and many rave about these.

But from the reviews I scoured over on Mogami Gold, they are suppose to be some of the best ones out there.

I had many a cheap cable when I was very young, and this time around I wanted to get some very decent ones that would last and not be noisy.

Planet waves "Circuit Breaker" cables are cool, and they are also solderless, (sort of like the G-Lynch are) so the are very easy to repair when needed. I've got a few, and they are pretty solid and don't crackle or pop as you move around.

I like the ability to cut the signal so there's no "pop" when I unplug the cable, without hitting standby, or when plugging the acoustic into the soundboard. And as Corey mentions, they lock into the jack via a tension spring.

http://www.planetwaves.com/pwProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=4115&productid=27&productname=Circuit_Breaker

They're not all that expensive.

I've also had good luck with Monster cables, (I've had one for like 15 years now, and it's never failed me)

I also have a fender 10ft Custom Shop Tweed, decent cable, and it doesn't coil up on me like others.

I was interested in the Magami cables but they are quite expensive. I don't mind spending the money if they are worth it. I was interested in other cables mentioned here like the Planet waves but if one coste 20 buckcks more and its worth it I am OK with that.

How is the Mogami compared to Monster Cables.

So far the Fender cables have held up but the PVC covering on one has split and I am afraid it will fail soon.

I like Goerge L cables not only the pre made but also his kit's to make your own. He even makes a 6" patch cable for your pedaloard now and the quality is top notch.

This. [thumbup] Especially on the pedal board where I have to make lots of little tiny ones and a few longer ones for weird connection runs. I also have made custom George Ls from the pedal board to the amps. The only exception is from the guitar where I am using a Bullet coily. The George L's cable has a certain stiffness to it that I don't really like around my feet.

756460.jpg

I was interested in the Magami cables but they are quite expensive. I don't mind spending the money if they are worth it. I was interested in other cables mentioned here like the Planet waves but if one coste 20 buckcks more and its worth it I am OK with that.

How is the Mogami compared to Monster Cables.

So far the Fender cables have held up but the PVC covering on one has split and I am afraid it will fail soon.

When I got my SG from Guitar Center, I asked the salesguy (he is also the guitar tech for the group Queensryche) what is a good cable.

I asked about the Monster Cable I saw on their site, and he steered me towards the Mogami ones.

I would try one Mogami and one of the Planet Waves ones and see if there is a difference, and if you think it is worth the extra money for the Mogami ones.

I don't know much about cables, but I figure that as long as a cable lasts me, I don't mind spending a little more. I use Mogami because that's where the GC guy steered me. (GC must have a deal with Mogami.) Another guitar shop that I frequent is making their own cables from coaxial cord and attaching plugs to the length you specify. They tell me that their cables are as good as anyone's for far less money. I have one but I don't care for it because it isn't flexible enough.

I've never put too much thought into cables. The differences between them are really overrated.

I just make my own.

I dunno man, if I compare one of my "generic" cables to my monster cable, I do sense the monster cable adds a bit more punch to the tone, can I be imagining it cuz I piad 49 dollars for the cable 15 years ago??? maybe, but I think that illusion of grandeur would have worn off by now.

I use DiMarzio cables, have been using them for a long time and even though I buy new cables every now and then, the original pair I bought years ago (I think it was 10 or 12 or more years ago) are still in great shape and don't give any problems. Of course I take good care of my stuff, I know people who have bought really expensive cables and have damaged them in a couple of months.

Last year I bought a new DiMarzio cable in gold finish... I swear it sounded different and IMO better than the others the minute I plugged it in, I remember I wrote about it in here at the time as I found it really funny and interesting, I don't believe 2 electronic products made of the same components should sound different, the only difference between the gold cable and the normal cables is the gold on has some plastic/ruber covering over the colored fabric in order to help maintain the shiny finish.

I dunno man, if I compare one of my "generic" cables to my monster cable, I do sense the monster cable adds a bit more punch to the tone, can I be imagining it cuz I piad 49 dollars for the cable 15 years ago??? maybe, but I think that illusion of grandeur would have worn off by now.

Well yeah crappy cables are noticably.. uhh.. crappy.. but the difference between decent cables and expensive cables is pretty negligible.

Personally I don't care about the tiny difference so I assume nobody in the audience does either. With most gear I'm willing to pay for the good stuff, with cables spending any more than $50 per cable is ridiculous. Maybe it's because I can make my own for cheap.

I bought an 18' Mogami Gold cable on sale for $45 (the one with G&H Plugs) and then bought matching G&H Plugs on eBay and split the cable, I am about take 1' off and make a patch cable for my Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face.

Basiclly I do not want to add more cable length and it is much cheaper this way too.

If I was to do it again I would have bought the 25' Mogami Gold cable so I can make a bunch of cables out of it.

The sound of these cables is great and after cutting into it the build quality is impressive.

I recently changed a connector on a cheap Fender Electrovolt cables and the copper barid on the cable was thoroughly oxidized, ugh.

...With most gear I'm willing to pay for the good stuff, with cables spending any more than $50 per cable is ridiculous.

+1 for that.

I play at some dirty freakin' places sometimes. -Basement shows, or stages covered in beer and cigarette ashes. I had some pretty nice tweed covered cables (nothing super expensive, but they were sweet), but they all turned black after gigging for a while. I'd get a nice white coily cable (I think they're the coolest), but I'd probably only use it at home. For gigs, I just play the highest quality cable that I can get without caring if it gets trashed. Not only that, but sometimes I'm known to leave a cable on stage if we have to tear down in a hurry for the next band. I'd be nervous that I'd lose a $50 cable.

I have a mishmash of high end cables. The cable from my last pedal to my amp is a Mogami Gold and probably the nicest cable I own. It tangles easily so that's why I use it there. My main cable is a Vox coily. That O2 free Cu is nice. On my board I have some Monster, some Mogami Gold, and an old Pro Co cable that I have had since college (I used to live in West Michigan, home of Pro Co). It's a lot of cable, but I strategically layout my pedals so I get a high quality buffer after a line of true bypass ones so I don't lose too much fidelity.

Which pedal are you using as your buffer? The OD808? If its the 616 I'm pretty sure the switchable buffer only affects the dry/effect signal not the bypass signal. At least when I had one it was only true bypass whether the buffer switch is on or not. The designer also said the buffer doesn't affect the bypass signal, I think there's a lot of confusion about it.

Which pedal are you using as your buffer? The OD808? If its the 616 I'm pretty sure the switchable buffer only affects the dry/effect signal not the bypass signal. At least when I had one it was only true bypass whether the buffer switch is on or not. The designer also said the buffer doesn't affect the bypass signal, I think there's a lot of confusion about it.

Oops, guess I was fooled by the language describing the Ekko616 too. I think my OD808 is true bypass, but I know my Phase90 is not and she comes after the dirt boxes and before delay and reverb so ola kala.

Archived