Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Cables

CowboyBillyBob1

Oops, guess I was fooled by the language describing the Ekko616 too. I think my OD808 is true bypass, but I know my Phase90 is not and she comes after the dirt boxes and before delay and reverb so ola kala.

Yeah it's confusing because people hear buffer and associate it only with the bypass signal but they're commonly used in effect circuits. The OD808 is buffered bypass but the fact that you never noticed it proves that it's well designed. (had to look up ola kala :) )

I actually have 3 pedals on my board that are not true bypass. One of them is not even buffered it's just the classic tone suck wiring. I don't care though

I actually have 3 pedals on my board that are not true bypass. One of them is not even buffered it's just the classic tone suck wiring. I don't care though

I try not to be a snob about this stuff, but I can't help it. At least I am not one of those 100% true bypass only! people. I just know for me I like true bypass before my Fuzz Factory so the oscillation still works and a good buffer further down the chain to give my signal some help.

Yeah I usually don't like buffers before my fuzz/dirt. A good buffer is cool though. I kinda just accept the bypass signal through my pedalboard as my clean sound and adjust my amp to sound good with it. It sounds good to me so I don't mind. I know yours sounds good too so you shouldn't worry.

Bought two 20" George L pedal cables today, here is a link to the update on my pedal board.

I had no idea my local shop could make up custom pedal or guitar cables until I called him today to inquire about a longer than 10" pedal cable.

Needed longer ones for the new Wah Wah pedal.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/87628-pedal-boards/page__st__60__gopid__1240259#entry1240259

I'm a little different here. For the band situation I use Mogami from GC. GC says they've got a lifetime warranty. And darn if it ain't true! I've returned a few that stopped working. They simply verify that it doesn't work, then give me a new one. That to me is worth the money. It evens out in the end.

On the other hand, when I'm out playing solo (fingerstyle, clean only) I use high end cables. They DO make a difference. I have Analysis Plus Black Oval, AP Yellow Oval and Asterope (bought over a period of years). Of those I prefer the Black Ovals. They are flexible (like a regular cable) and they do have a "pure" sound. When I play solo, my gear is handled gently and these will last for the rest of my life I'm pretty sure. I do realize how seemingly ridiculous it is to spend that kind of money on a cable...but when it's the link between my L5 or 335 and my Rivera amp it's easy for me to justify (or rationalize ;) .

I avoid tweed cables because they tangle easily (w/ itself and every other cable on stage) and they're like velcro for funky dust & hair.

I like to know it's mine at a glance so I try to use cables that look distinct from others, such a Fender's "California Series" or just something that's not all black like everybody else's. Maybe it has red tips or something. (This also helps to instantly see that it's not a speaker cable.)

I usually buy the cheapest but heaviest gauge cable available, and I always unscrew the ends to inspect the soldered connections.

I am thoroughly unconcerned with cables coloring my sound, especially performing live. The outlets at the venue will do worse, and the size/shape of the stage & room will affect your sound way more than that. If the sound guy isn't your own, you can count on plenty of pollution there too (if not outright incompetence). Hope this helps.

I've been using the same pair of Road Hog cables by Rapco for almost 25 years,they've endured all kinds of gigging and still perform like new. The Road Hogs are the most durable cables I've ever used and after over 45 years,I've had quite a few.At the time I bought the Road Hogs, I bought a set of no-name,multi-coloured patch cables to join the effects together and except for one of them which got tripped up in and broken, they are still going strong.Even though the short cabless are virtually problem free,I think that just for the extra peace of mind I'm going to get a set of more substantial for effects patch cables.I hope that Road Hog makes sets of short patch cables.BTW I also use Road Hog unsheilded cables for my amp to speaker cabinet use.

Archived