Gibson Brands Forums

Here is $10,000.00 to spend anyway you want...

daveinspain

You have to spend it on guitars... :rolleyes:

I would get an ES 175 and a R9 (59 Les Paul reissue) I'm not sure if I would go for new or used market... I would certainly play all of them I could get my hands on and then make the decision... If I had anything left over I get some guitar straps and stands for them too...

SHoweES175.jpg

R9-1.jpg

If all of it has to be on guitars I'm going to the custom shop and to Montana...

R9 Kossoff model

R0 Clapton Beano Model

Warren Haynes LP

R8

R7 Goldtop VOS

50th Anniversary LP Custom

J45

Woody Guthrie AJ

50th Anniversary Hummingbird

Am I outta money yet? If not I'll have to find a used Pearly Gates since they don't make them anymore.

EDIT: oops, I am not awake yet and I thought you said $100,000

Guess I'll have to pare the list down a bit, eh?

This is the Gibson forum, Dave.

You don't HAVE to stipulate the 10 grand be spent on guitars, that would happen anyway.

:) very true but I will play!

Custom Shop 57 Goldtop LP, ES-335 and a SG Custom. Should be right at the mark... or I spent a little more, no big deal right?

Hmmmmm. This is going to be tough. I'd get:

An early 80's Les Paul Custom in silverburst.

A black Flying V. -One of the new ones. They're making them again with the less pointy headstock.

A '61 SG reissue.

A new US Standard Telecaster in sunburst.

A real 1972 Telecaster Deluxe in walnut.

The rest I'd donate to some music school for kids so they can get new guitars.

I'd buy a 1997 California Series Telecaster, then use the leftover money to build a studio/practice space to keep it in, and for my friends and I.

Awesome answer. But if it has to be all spent on guitars I would seek out the mintiest 68 LPC Black Beauty fretless wonder I could find.

I had a 69 in the 80's which was stolen. I'm still crying about it. I loved that guitar.

I would buy 10,000 dollars worth of vintage computers!

2 things...

1. you have to spend the money on guitars

2. There is no such thing as a vintage computer (unless it's one of those early computers that take up a whole room).

Dan Armstrong plexi guitar

TG.... Just so happens I have 1969 Dan Armstrong for sale, in OHSC, with three of the interchangeable pickups (including the humbucker), $3000.

If I remember correctly you're on a different continent than I am, but PM me if you would like to discuss it!

5851174429_afe638ba7b.jpg

Sorry about the redirect, back to topic.

I would hunt down a 1948 L-5P (acoustic cutaway, slanted script logo, sunburst). I'm not sure the $10K would cover it, but it would be a good start.

Well... for sure a new ES175. A light tobacco sunburst. Set up for 9-42 strings.

Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Custom EC Acoustic-Electric Guitar - antique natural. Set up also for 9-42.

Then... I'm not sure which, but an AE "classical" guitar, preferably with a cutaway, but with a full width neck.

That should get up to $10,000.

There are other high quality guitars of interest, but frankly "bang for the buck" at the top end leaves me with those two Gibbies.

Oddly, though I have a hunch that a little cheap Epi PR5e AE will remain, along with the new 175, getting the majority of play time. The little Epi sounds nice plugged in and is just about the same size/shape as the 175.

I have some odd feelings about having so much affinity to one of the Gibson family's less expensive boxes, but size and playability with the setup I have simply fit with me and what I do. It probably wouldn't hurt to get nicer "stuff" for nut and bridge, but...

Reflecting on this one... I think there's something about the size of the 175, roughly the same as a classical, that tends to feel right to me. I have bigger boxes that are fine for doing old time/bluegrass strumming things, but 99.9 percent of the time I'm solo and thinking in terms of solo guitar stuff with or without a vocal.

m

Awesome answer. But if it has to be all spent on guitars I would seek out the mintiest 68 LPC Black Beauty fretless wonder I could find.

I had a 69 in the 80's which was stolen. I'm still crying about it. I loved that guitar.

The guitar needs a proper house, don't you think?

Archived