Gibson Brands Forums

The Moon

Flight959

Nice snap, Simon.

1/6400. Good choice!

As to whether the pinpoints are stars or dust/noise;

If you still have the other exposures you mentioned it would be worth comparing them side-by-side to see whether the 'stars' are all in the same place or whether the 'dust-specks/noise-dots' are in different places...

[smile]

P.

• 2 weeks later...

You can shoot a full Moon @ ISO 200 --- provided you're using a tripod. Other phases will require higher ISO to compensate for less illumination. When shooting the Moon, no matter what the phase, the rule is "bracket, bracket, bracket!" Meaning shoot at different exposures --- one of them will be correct!

And no, those are not stars Pippy --- it's camera noise.

Even if they _were_ stars you wouldn't be able to compare stars in the background of previous Moon shots as there are always different stars in the background of the Moon.

Plus that's ignoring the fact that at that the exposure time is too short to capture stars anyways....

If any of you can help.....What sort of telescope would I need to look at the moon? How powerful?

I've been looking on ebay, but it's baffling.

Before buying one, purchase a book called "The Backyard Astronomer's Guide" by Terence Dickinson and Alan Dyer or "NightWatch" by Terence Dickinson.

The BAG is more detailed (and more $$) but it explains everything very well --- eyepieces, different kinds of telescopes, etc while NightWatch is an introductory book to astronomy, observing and equipment.

Also, astronomy magazines such as Sky and Telescope, Astronomy Magazine and SkyNews Magazine can be found on major newsstands.

Search online to see if there is an astronomy club near you. Most clubs have public observing nights where anyone come come and observe through club member's telescopes.

Somewhere I have lunar shots buried away on CDs or memory sticks. Can only find a couple on my hard drive right now.

Both taken through a 4-inch f/9 Vixen apochromatic telescope using a Canon 50D.

Can't recall what ISO or exposure.

The waning gibbous Moon was probably ISO 400 or 800 and likely around 1/100 exposure.

The lunar eclipse was from a few years ago. Likely ISO 800 and 10-12 second exposure (tracked using a Losmandy GEM). And yes, those _are_ stars in the lunar eclipse shot. ;)

Oct10Moon-1.jpg

lunar_eclipse_dec21_2010_small-1.jpg

You can shoot a full Moon @ ISO 200 --- provided you're using a tripod. Other phases will require higher ISO to compensate for less illumination. When shooting the Moon, no matter what the phase, the rule is "bracket, bracket, bracket!" Meaning shoot at different exposures --- one of them will be correct!

And no, those are not stars Pippy --- it's camera noise.

Even if they _were_ stars you wouldn't be able to compare stars in the background of previous Moon shots as there are always different stars in the background of the Moon.

Plus that's ignoring the fact that at that the exposure time is too short to capture stars anyways....

Thanks for the post, cdntac.

My snap was shot at 1/125, f10 @ 100ASA. Canon 7D, 200mm. I used a tripod and I bracketed.

From my experiment last night it became apparent that the specks in Flight's image were not stars. Flight had also bracketed and it would have been possible for him to have checked the relative position of the spots as, of course, his images were all made within a very brief time period and, if they HAD been stars, wouldn't have moved enough to make any difference.

I''ve never tried to photograph the stars. I've no idea what EV they have. Perhaps that's tonight's experiment......LOL!

Love the Lunar Eclipse shot!

[thumbup]

Although Tycho is further to the West than usual.......(J/K...[biggrin]).

P.

From my experiment last night it became apparent that the specks in Flight's image were not stars. Flight had also bracketed and it would have been possible for him to have checked the relative position of the spots as, of course, his images were all made within a very brief time period and, if they HAD been stars, wouldn't have moved enough to make any difference.

Thx!

I assumed you were referring to shots done in the past, not shots taken during the same shooting session.

If you're going to attempt to capture stars, use a wide-angle lens (20-35 or so). Use a tripod, shoot at your lowest f-stop and try ISO 800 or 1000 with a 25-second exposure.

The motion of the Earth will show star trails rather quickly so unless you have a tracking motor don't try a longer focal length lens.

...If you're going to attempt to capture stars, use a wide-angle lens (20-35 or so). Use a tripod, shoot at your lowest f-stop and try ISO 800 or 1000 with a 25-second exposure.

The motion of the Earth will show star trails rather quickly so unless you have a tracking motor don't try a longer focal length lens.

Thanks for the advice, cdntac.

The weather tonight is meant to be awful.

Actually last night's pic of the moon was really just taken on the spur of the moment as the near-full moon was shining through the window as we sat down to dinner ! ! ! !

P.

Archived