Gibson Brands Forums

Flat tops are flat or curved?

jinx2

compound would mean that it it is radiused, but the degree varies. the one he was holding was high behind the bridge, but actually had dips in it. if you have low spots, then you might want it checked out. by low, i mean a spot on the top that is lower than the rim. it should have an overall gentle arch to the top. it is normal for the one side to have a steeper curve than the other due to a difference in tension from treble/ bass strings, and the the fact that the bracing pattern isn't symmetrical.

so, not flat, no low spots, arched (but doesn't have to be a symmetrical arch).

does your fretboard look dry? how does the wood in the guitar look? do you see cracks? have you actually measured the humidity? what made you decide that yours was too dry?

remember that it is just as easy to add too much humidity to a guitar and cause all sorts of problems.

• 2 weeks later...
compound would mean that it it is radiused' date=' but the degree varies. the one he was holding was high behind the bridge, but actually had dips in it. if you have low spots, then you might want it checked out. by low, i mean a spot on the top that is lower than the rim. it should have an overall gentle arch to the top. it is normal for the one side to have a steeper curve than the other due to a difference in tension from treble/ bass strings, and the the fact that the bracing pattern isn't symmetrical.

so, not flat, no low spots, arched (but doesn't have to be a symmetrical arch).

does your fretboard look dry? how does the wood in the guitar look? do you see cracks? have you actually measured the humidity? what made you decide that yours was too dry?

remember that it is just as easy to add too much humidity to a guitar and cause all sorts of problems.[/quote']

Well, I watched that Bob Taylor video...with attention to where he lays the straight edge on the top of the guitar. My Gibby had that same funky curve he was trying to correct. Also, looking down the fretboard from the tuners down...things didn't look right.

So, I attacked the thing with a store bought dampit hose thing, and a homemade sponge in a baggie deal. Took some doing, but I think things are in order now. Top is nice and flat, no bulge behind the bridge anymore. And the neck lays nice and even.

Sounding good too.

Oh and I also tuned down 1/2 step...maybe that changed things too.

According to the Taylor website, ALL Taylor problems are caused by humidity. NOT the fact that Taylor uses VERY thin top woods and tone woods, and light bracing in their construction to maximize sound....(and I've yet to hear a Taylor sound I like) But this is an interesting demo. This guitar must have been in Death Valley.....

Archived