Gibson Brands Forums

Car got stolen right under my nose

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest farnsbarns

I was working very late last night, at about 3am the dog barked. She barks at anything so I didn't think much of it, then I saw headlights and thought "who's coming up the drive at this time of night?”. I went to the window to see our rare mini classic rio reversing down the drive at speed.

I couldn't believe how brazen they were, came up a long drive in a fairly well-to-do, quiet, leafy neighborhood, approached the car despite our lights all being on and the car parked feet from the house, broke in and started it.

Seems it was probably stolen to order by pros who probably followed us home some time as you can't even tell our house is here from the road, let alone the car. You'd also have to know a bit to realize the car was worth stealing.

Really pee'd off today. It's put the damper on the arrival of my new stroboscopic tuner today.

Guest farnsbarns

Wow that stinks. I hope in the end the police find it. I would think they would have a hard time selling it if it's rare.

It'll be on it's way to Eastern Europe or the middle east by now, or being carved up for parts. I doubt the police will find it.

Guest farnsbarns

What colour was it mate!!

I'll keep my eyes peeled!!

A very distinctive bright metalic green (rio turquoise). It's all tagged up now so if it passes an ANPR with the original plates it'll flag up but I can't see it happening. It's been carefully targeted by pros who aren't going to drive it around with the real plates on it.

I called 999 within 60 seconds and they were looking for it in seconds. The male officer that came round said (with a rye grin) we were in Kennly when it came out so we drove strait towards New Addington. That made us chuckle.

Farns,

I had a classic car stolen a couple of years ago. I live near Baltimore, a fairly large port city. The police told me my car was most likely in a shipping container behind a shipment of paint heading for the Middle East. I never saw it again. I hope you fair better.

That's terrible. Y'know, I'm a pretty lucky bastard. I'm glad I live in a smaller city. The music sucks around here, and it can get a little boring depending on how you approach life (let's just say that if you're not an outdoorsman---you won't like it here.). But stuff like this hardly happens here, so I'm very fortunate. I wish the best to you.

Don't take this the wrong way, but this whole incident reminds me of Seinfeld when Jerry's car (Which contained JFK's golf clubs!) was stolen and Kramer and Newman were following the mechanic that stole it in a mail truck. Classic!

So that makes two unfortunate car-related threads this week....

Guest farnsbarns

A real Mini.....

.....hope she comes home unscathed.

Ahh, Dr Thermionik I presume, I know your name from the the tales of days gone by, then you randomly started following me on Soundcloud last week, then you pop up in here. Weird stuff. Nice to meet you!

We had a car stolen right out of our drive. It wasn't mine, but a friend who was visiting. The funny thing is that I was in the garage and waved goodbye to them as they peeled out. I thought our friend was leaving. I went in to ask the wife why she took off in such a hurry, and she (car owner) was still there. I was like... "I'm pretty sure your car just got stolen." I figure there's a car thief out there somewhere laughing at me, the dumba$$ who waved goodbye to them as they stole a car right from under my nose.

Anyway, hope you get your classic back - in one piece.

Archived