Gibson Brands Forums

In a band now.

Buxom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZLWgyPD0Iw&feature=youtube

Alright, so we were all getting a feel for eachother's playing styles and what we can do. I didn't expect anything amazing, and the vibrations were so strong it knocked the camera down. I need to get better recording gear. :lol: Anyways, I had a great time doing this.

Also, I asked to play clean in one part, so for you clean guys, you can look for it.

Glad your in a band now. It's a great feeling, but do you have a condensed video of you guys playing a whole song? I tried to watch the whole thirty plus minutes, but ended up skipping through because you cats would start a cool riff and then stop with a lot of guitar feedback (and not the good Hendrix or Lee Ranaldo kind).

Sorry about that. We were basically just trying a whole bunch of different tempos and tones (why you see him and I adjust his set and my amp a lot) Start at about 13 minutes. We did a cranked clean surf piece. We stop a couple times because I asked him to keep this one beat simple but it's the nicest part of the video. This is not my first time playing with a drummer, which is why I can keep time, but it is my first time playing with him and his style. It'l take a few more times to get used to eachother.

Takes me back... We have many many hours banked like this.

May I offer a tad of advise though? And I really don't mean any disrespect because dude,, this totally reminds me of our old jams. It's so cool. But,, nobody cares about it like you do..

I can watch our old videos over and over but nobody else would give a rats a$$ what we did.

Capture a good 4 or 5 minutes where you all click and post that. And work on the audio. If you can find a better placement for your mic and maybe compress it a bit would help the sound.

But it sounds fun and I would love to jump in there with you guys.

You're lucky to have found guys to jam with. You won't click with everyone you play with.

Music is funny. I have jammed with so many people I can't even count.

My best jamming buddies ended up being lifelong friends. I think there is a connection between people socially and ultimately musically.

Kinda like why siblings always connect. Me and my bro can jam for hours. Same as me and my close friends. But dudes I don't really connect with socially? I don't jam well with.

It's all very strange...

But I've had a couple wines and maybe not makin any sense so wtf,, just jam and have fun man.. lol

[thumbup]

that audio was crap, but congrats ur in a band, i need to get into a band or i will just go solo on stage with backing tracks

FenderDude,, you shouldn't be commenting on bad audio..lol.

I've heard some of yours.. not good.. lol.

But hey, don't be discouraged. Just don't do the backing track thing.

Do you have any friends who play? You're just a kid. You will find jamming buddies. When you start working or in school. Or even put an ad in the paper or something. Backing tracks will never take the place of real people. You will never succeed on stage with backing tracks.

Don't deny yourself the experience of playing with others. There's nothing like it. I've seen your stuff and heard you play. Keep working man.

You are definitely on the right track. Hell I wish I played that good when I was your age. Find some kids your age and start playing.

Just don't get all high and mighty and think you can hop on stage with backing tracks. Your not even close to that. Keep working.

Your on the right track. I say 2 years. You'll be close.

My best jamming buddies ended up being lifelong friends. I think there is a connection between people socially and ultimately musically.

I've known these guys for literally most of my life, since we were 3, 4, and 6.

But we're working on sound quality. We really did well with cranked clean tones, though.

that audio was crap, but congrats ur in a band, i need to get into a band or i will just go solo on stage with backing tracks

You really need to get a real drummer. Trust me, you won't know the feeling until you do. It's much easier, because you can't always match a backing track, but any skilled drummer can always match you. He isn't the first drummer I've played with, but he's one of the best overall. Our skills are pretty much matched.

You really need to get a real drummer. Trust me, you won't know the feeling until you do. It's much easier, because you can't always match a backing track, but any skilled drummer can always match you. He isn't the first drummer I've played with, but he's one of the best overall. Our skills are pretty much matched.

thanks bro, i will try and find friends that play

Just have fun. Don't expect anything huge to come of it. Just get good, and play local.

Also, you're one lucky kid. Aussie girls are hot as hell. I met a couple when I was out with friends last night. They had just moved here.

I've known these guys for literally most of my life, since we were 3, 4, and 6.

But we're working on sound quality. We really did well with cranked clean tones, though.

That's cool. And I musta missed the clean tones. [wink]

But it sounded fun!!!!

And I don't mean to dis your buddy but I just tried to listen again and the drummer isn't really listening to you guys.

He sounds pretty good but he's not listening. He's just playing.

I'm hearing 2 guitars and a drummer yes?

No bass player? Do one of you know how to play the bass?

None of my business but, I'm thinking if your drummer had a bass player to key on it may work out better. I just hear a drummer who isn't really listening to what's going on around him. You guys have to hear each other,, and play off each other. It kinda sounds like a free for all.

The drummer needs to chill,, and listen to you guys.

Or someone needs to pick up a bass and bond with him.

You're all competent. Just listen more. [thumbup]

The clean starts around 13:00.

But really, we would only play for maybe 30 seconds max because we wanted to see what sounds good with what. Also, for the clean piece, I asked him to change up a bit and he did. We're all just making adjustments to our sounds though. He can follow and keep a beat well, but all of us were all over the place today. And yes, we had 2 guitar players, the other one is unsure of what he wants to do. He also didn't want to be on camera, so that's why he isn't there. He said he plays bass too, but I don't know.

The clean starts around 13:00.

But really, we would only play for maybe 30 seconds max because we wanted to see what sounds good with what. Also, for the clean piece, I asked him to change up a bit and he did. We're all just making adjustments to our sounds though. He can follow and keep a beat well, but all of us were all over the place today. And yes, we had 2 guitar players, the other one is unsure of what he wants to do. He also didn't want to be on camera, so that's why he isn't there. He said he plays bass too, but I don't know.

So let him play bass.. lol

Anyway dude, not trying to be critical. Just that watchin your vid took

me back. Enjoy it man,, it's all good.

Just a little note for ya'll about playing with a drummer: ALWAYS FOLLOW THE DRUMMER!

Don't ever expect any drummer to be able to follow the other musicians, it just doesn't work that way. You problably heard it a million times, but the most IMPORTANT thing a drummer will have to do is keep time. If he can't do that, no matter how many fancy rhythms he does or fancy fills, the band will fall apart the moment he misses or changes the beat.

Well, the inverse of that is also true. For the others, playing WITH the drummer means you are playing IN TIME-and not following the drummer means YOU are not playing in time.

FOLLOW THE DRUMMER!

Look for a drummer who knows how to keep time. (Or help the drummer to LEARN how to keep time). When you are following the drummer, you will quickly notice when he isn't. If you think you will find a drummer that will or should be able to follow YOUR timing, it doesn't exist because if you can't follow a drummer, you don't know what playing in time is and problably aren't, so HOW is a drummer going to follow you?

It's just the way of things. Drummer makes the beat, the others FOLLOW the beat. It's never different than that. It's how the universe is made. It's nature.

One more time:

FOLLOW

THE

DRUMMER

ALWAYS

FOLLOW

THE

DRUMMER.

follow the drummer.

Have I said it enough?

NO!

FOLLOW THE DRUMMER!

I may disagree with you, because we tried it both ways and it worked decently, but as I said, we need practice, and we need to find what works best, which will take time. We both were able to follow eachother's transitions well, and most of what both of us play is simple, so it's easy anyway. (2, 4, maybe 4 parts at max)

FOLLOW THE DRUMMER!

So while I do get that, how do you follow the drummer, when the guitar player writes the song? Which is what I hear in their video.

It's a tango. Someone has to lead.

But I agree, once the time signature is established and the drummer knows the arrangement everyone has to listen to the drummer,, and the bass player. I 100% agree with that. But it's the chicken and the egg thing.

These guys are just working on the egg..... or maybe the chicken.. lol.

Just sayin though that in this video, I hear the guitars start, and then I hear the drums come in playing something completely different.

That said, there are also times where the drummer starts but the guitars are doing nothing. That is also an opportunity to create.

So I can't argue with "Follow the Drummer". It's definitely true once the arrangement is set. But I still think the drummer has to follow when he's not the composer of the piece. Once learned, then yes. Follow the drummer.

But these guys are just figuring stuff out. They all need to listen to each other.

Don't ever expect any drummer to be able to follow the other musicians, the most IMPORTANT thing a drummer will have to do is keep time. If he can't do that, no matter how many fancy rhythms he does or fancy fills, the band will fall apart the moment he misses or changes the beat.

If you think you will find a drummer that will or should be able to follow YOUR timing, it doesn't exist because if you can't follow a drummer, you don't know what playing in time is and problably aren't, so HOW is a drummer going to follow you?

Just curious though. If a drummer will never "follow" other musicians, what exactly is he "keeping" time to???

Everyone has to listen. Nobody is immune to listening. Not even a drummer.

I may disagree with you, because we tried it both ways and it worked decently, but as I said, we need practice, and we need to find what works best, which will take time. We both were able to follow eachother's transitions well, and most of what both of us play is simple, so it's easy anyway. (2, 4, maybe 4 parts at max)

I can appreciate where you are coming from, BUT listen (read..lol):

The most important wisdom I am likely to impart on anyone here on this forum as a musician IS: FOLLOW THE DRUMMER.

Important why? If you never understand this (ANY of us), you will never be any good at playing music until you do.

I am not making this up, or inventing any rules here, I am telling you how those that make music together do it. This IS what all musicians who play well do, and something EVERYONE must learn to do it well.

Consider this: Do you ever hear a song where the drummer constantly changes what he plays? Ever hear a good song where the drummer is constantly making adjustments?

You guys can discuss what you want the drummer to play. You can even tell the drummer what to play. This is not the issue. The drummer can even hear something you are playing, and play it on the spot. That isn't the point either.

WHEN the drummer kicks off a beat, he should KEEP that beat for the song, or until a change is supposed to happen. If it sucks, then you start over. And, once that drummer kicks off a beat, you LOCK into it and you keep that lock as good as you can.

Consider this: once a drummer creates a "beat", that gets into the head of the listener. Once it is started, it is there. Even IF you (or the drummer) thinks it could be better, it is too late isn't it? What has been played HAS and IS being played. It is far better to keep what you have rather than keep changing it, because once one guy changes, the others have to change as well. And, you will never lock in together as a band or a team if this happens.

Now, realize this: the ONLY reference everyone has as to WHAT the rhythm is IS what is heard. The drummer can't know what is in your head and play it, and YOU can't know what is in his. So, it must be PLAYED to know it. As such, ONE guy must be the one to set the tempo, the timing, and the overall rhythm. The others FOLLOW that timing, tempo, and such. The DRUMMER is THAT guy. The only way a band CAN play together is if EVERYONE follows the same tempo and timing, and this comes from the drummer.

I am not trying to toot my horn, and I realize to you I am nobody, but I promise you, this is good advice. Just think about it.

If you "get" this into your head, you will be making music that sounds good in no time at all.

Just curious though. If a drummer will never "follow" other musicians, what exactly is he "keeping" time to???

Everyone has to listen. Nobody is immune to listening. Not even a drummer.

I think we may be talking about different things here.

I have met drummers who can lead the whole band..write the songs, make the arrangements, and tell all the other players what to play. And Bass players who do that, guitar players, etc.

FOLLOW the drummer means that what the drummer plays, everyone plays. The drummer doesn't "get" the tempo from anyone or anything, he MAKES the tempo, and the whole of the rhythm. It has nothing to do with who tells who to play what. It has to do with PLAYING the tune or jam as you are playing it.

We all have to listen to each other, and we are all guilty of not doing that at times. But besides that, I think a lot of us often play to what is in our head rather than what is being played in the room. Like playing covers?

FOLLOW THE DRUMMER means you adjust and play to the rhythm he is laying down, as in you NEVER play anything different, or expect the drummer to adjust to/change what he is playing to your rhythm.

Just to add. The drummer keeps the beat he is 1st, next the bass player. Those two are kind of joined at the hip. Rythym, vocals, keyboards etc can pretty much be in any heirarchy after that.

Think of a heart beating.

Thanks for the advice, guys. But honestly, we have to do what works for us. If your methods work, so be it, if ours do, so be it.

OK then.

How about a challenge?

I challenge you: TRY it and see IF it works or doesn't.

AND I challenge you: Show us a vid where a method works-be it what you call "our" method or "your" method.

Archived