Gibson Brands Forums

Getting used to my BIG MUFF now

Rabs

So ive had this Big Muff pedal for a short while now.. At first I thought id made a mistake in buying it as I just seemed to be getting limited tones but with some volume adjustments I am starting to get more of the sound I want..

Just a quick question though. Does anyone else find them really bassy pedals? Im more of a neck pickup guy usually but with the Muff I find the bass end just gets to muffeled so have to play with the bridge in order to make out what im actually playing lol..

Anyone else find this? Any tips for Big Muff use?

Cool! The Big Muff is a favorite of mine

Yeah they're inherently pretty bassy. The tone control isn't like the tone control on your guitar in that when you turn it up it not only adds treble but it removes bass. I recommend setting the tone control to about 3 o'clock (give or take depending on the rest of your rig)

It also helps to not have the sustain control turned ALL the way up like most people use it. About 3 o'clock is good for that too. Still plenty of saturation without being totally squished. And of course, it sounds best with the volume turned up a bit so it's pushing your amp

What version did you get? I've had/built a bunch and if you're looking for an articulate Muff that's not super bassy the "Ram's Head" circuit is what you want.

Yeah they're inherently pretty bassy. The tone control isn't like the tone control on your guitar in that when you turn it up it not only adds treble but it removes bass. I recommend setting the tone control to about 3 o'clock (give or take depending on the rest of your rig)

It also helps to not have the sustain control turned ALL the way up like most people use it. About 3 o'clock is good for that too. Still plenty of saturation without being totally squished. And of course, it sounds best with the volume turned up a bit so it's pushing your amp

What version did you get? I've had/built a bunch and if you're looking for an articulate Muff that's not super bassy the "Ram's Head" circuit is what you want.

Cheers for that :)

I got the Electro Harmonix one.. and its pretty good now im getting used to it.. Im plugging it in line with a Boss Loop RC3 and that goes straight into my Boss digital 4 track, so very little in the way of intereferance.. (to late and too loud to be playing on my amp :) (and ive only got a small Marshall MG15FX) (was looking at a hughes and kettner tube am today hmmmmm) :)

Double entendres notwithstanding (difficult I know)... [biggrin]

I've messed around with Muffs for many a year...Russian raspy and American smoothy both...

A personal Eureka moment occured recently...

Placing a banded EQ pedal after the Muff can be interesting

A 'V' shaped scoop and variations thereon can change the fuzz character to taste and offer even Metal type compression/sustain...

Happy Muffery !! <_<

V

:-({|=

Double entendres notwithstanding (difficult I know)... [biggrin]

I've messed around with Muffs for many a year...Russian raspy and American smoothy both...

A personal Eureka moment occured recently...

Placing a banded EQ pedal after the Muff can be interesting

A 'V' shaped scoop and variations thereon can change the fuzz character to taste and offer even Metal type compression/sustain...

Happy Muffery !! <_<

V

:-({|=

Lol..

entendres interpreted on "raspy" and "smooth" as well....lol

Sorry,, I digress...

I'm off to bed.

[laugh]

Hey Dubs,

I'm actually trying to decide on which big muff version to build, the triangle or the Ram's head version. I read that there were two versions of the Ram's head also, the first Ram's head and the Violet Ram's head. How does the Triangle compare with both Ram's head versions?

The triangle will be more bassy with a more aggressive low end. The main difference is that the triangle uses some larger value caps which lets more low frequencies through.

Both will be great, you might just want to make one of each, but generally the triangle will be a little better for rhythm and the rams head will be a little better for lead/soloing. Of course that part is subjective..

I've got parts to build a triangle in the mail, but I personally really like the green Sovtek specs.

Archived