Gibson Brands Forums

The phone rang at 12:45 this morning

ksdaddy

very glad to hear loved ones were OK. that fire was no joke!

Insurance companies, when dealing with something they have to pay for is... well...

start Preparing mentally for this fight now. they battle this everyday, with several people on their side giving them scripts, advice, and they have a number that they are prepared to negotiate with.

they're hoping you take the first number.

its your duty to argue, but please try not to lose your cool in the first couple rounds. argue from fact, and not the gut. the best way to do this is calmly dispute with facts and redundancies in their adjustment. dispute everything the adjuster tries to deduct from your settlement.

keep your policy handy during this conversation.

From the Insurance Companies perspective as soon as a policy holder starts screaming, 'click' there goes the phone call. and often times they record everything. hence 'this call may be monitored...' you know the game.

Good luck in your fight.

When dealing with insurance companies,no matter what the condition of your car-even if it was in showroom condition with less than 100 miles on it-they would only give you the book value of the car,which wouldn't be a heck of a lot fot a 12 year old Camry.That's what the policy is here with car insurance unless the car has been highly customized and tricked out with custom paint,interior,high performance or heavily chromed engine etc.In cases such as that the car would have to be insured at a special rate as a "custom" or "show" car.

Best of luck dealing with the insurance company. It's never any fun. In high school I had my car totaled by another driver and had to deal with his rude insurance agent to get paid out.

And to echo what others said, glad no one was injured. Cars are replaceable. People, not so much.

Man, I'd be paranoid as hell of letting them haul a car I've yet to own totally. If you don't let them they may refuse to pay up, though. Sucks! I hope they do you right. You will get something, though. Don't think you're being paranoid, insurance companies don't like to pay up is the reputation, but they have to!

Glad the kid is okay. Look at the good and consider anything you get a bonus. I am a nurse. Hospital bills alone, not mentioning the mental anguish...you worrying about the $ for that car is a blessing compared to what could have been. Stop the worry if you can. In two years this will mean nothing.

If they do, they haven't said anything. I asked one of the firemen and he said it looked like it was concentrated around the battery and the box containing all the fuses and relays (not the one under the dash but the big honkin' mother under the hood).

It wouldn't have happened to my '92 Camry with 220,000 miles or my other daughter's $350 '93 Sable.... nooo, the rust free Florida Camry still in the prime of life has to burn!

Then might I suggest that you look for a different Toyota all together as I have read that LE model from 2000 (early) have had that problem. If you do Google Search 2000 Toyota Camry LE Engine Fires you'll see what I am talking about.

Sounds like they treated you like good relation.

In my area, you are in a negotiating session from the get go. The adjuster's job is to give you as little as possible. The WILL low ball you out of the gate.

Maybe they heard you were an internet forum moderator with a lot of exposure.

Maybe, given the apparent history of this model's propensity to ignite, the insurance company has a claim with Toyota that you and I will never hear about.

All is good. They gave us 5250 minus the deductible, minus the balance of the loan. She is getting something just under $3300 when the smoke clears (pun intended). I found her a 2000 Volvo S-70 Turbo and got the seller down to $3250 cash. Car is loaded, heated leather seats, the works. I had to pry her away from a ragged out 04 Grand Prix and some others but Daddy prevailed.

ea38tu.jpg

"2000 Volvo s70 GLT SE turbo silver for sale. 3850obo. Great gas mileage. Brand new sticker and synthetic oil change, miles 162k highway. Sunroof, Power locks, power windows, New rotors and pads, timing belt, battery, heated black leather seats, mirrors, CD player."

Yep I had the turbo conversation with a mechanic buddy.

I was thinking of a Corvette for myself but my boss has a beat up 95 Saab convertible and loves it. I can get a clean 90s convertible for 3k or so. I may do that instead of the Vette.

Archived