Gibson Brands Forums

patent number 498T?

ninemiles

I received a '91 LP Studio for my birthday. Not really sure who owned it previously. The bridge pickup was quite microphonic at live band volumes (but sounded great at bedroom volumes), so I took it out and replaced it. The '91 studio should have a 498T in the bridge. The DC resistance of this pickup is 14.26K. Did Gibson make 498Ts with the patent number stamp on them?

Hi,

The 498T does not have a PAF sticker/patent number on the back. Your guitar would normally have two patent applied for humbuckers installed, as your guitar is an early LP studio. Please see the differences attached.

Kind regards,

Stijn

post-15276-005026800 1344607042_thumb.jpg

post-15276-093648500 1344607042_thumb.jpg

Hi StijnV, Thanks for your reply. My Studio has an ebony fretboard, and was built in 1991, according to the S/N (91631400). The neck pickup has a Gibson USA logo, and the specs you attached lead me to believe it would have come with a 498T in the bridge, on which I also expected a gibson USA logo, rather than the patent number stamped. Isn't the DC resistance a little high for a PAF type? Should I conclude that sometime before I acquired the guitar the bridge pickup was swapped with an older patent number pickup, or is it possible that it came from the factory that way?

ry3D400.jpg

Archived