Gibson Brands Forums

Musicians You Wish Were Still With Us

kaleb

I thought it would be cool to have a thread about our deceased heroes. I'll use a Top 10 list in no particular order. And it doesn't have to be just guitar players.

1. Eric Carr (KISS drummer from 1980-1991)

2. Gary Moore (solo/Thin Lizzy/Coliseum II)

3. Phil Lynott (Thin Lizzy bassist/singer/songwriter)

4. John Bonham (Led Zeppelin drummer)

5. George Harrison (The Beatles)

6. Cliff Burton (Metallica bassist 1982-1986)

7. Jimi Hendrix

8. "Dimebag" Darrel Abbott (Pantera/Damageplan)

9. Randy Rhoads (Ozzy Osbourne/Quiet Riot)

10. Bon Scott (AC/DC singer/songwriter 1974-1980)

R.I.P. to all of the above.

Guest farnsbarns

All the above, plus...

Django Reinhardt

Big Bill Broonzy

Sister Rosetta Tharpe

I'm sure there's many more if I put my mind to it.

Well, let's see how many dead musicians I can name. If Django were still alive, he'd be 102. Lightnin' Hopkins would be 100. Robert Johnson would be... well... you get the idea.

If Wes Montgomery were still alive, he'd only be 89. I'll go with Wes for $1000 Alex.

John Entwhistle

Brad Delp

Les Paul

George Harrison

Syd Barrett (gotta love early Floyd)

and Rick Wright while we're on that subject

Kind of on the fence about Hendrix. I feel like what made him so legendary was that he came out of no where, made his mark, and left us at his peak rather than burning out and becoming another overly-expensive present day nostalgia act. I'm sure he would've put out some more amazing stuff had he been around longer, but his brief career permanently shook up the guitar/rock world in a special way.

I am looking at this more from the angle of only posting musicians that died before their time like Hendrix and Randy Rhoads. Musicians that lived a full life, like Les Paul or the Ramones or even Sterling Morison, would not be on my list.

Kind of on the fence about Hendrix. I feel like what made him so legendary was that he came out of no where, made his mark, and left us at his peak rather than burning out and becoming another overly-expensive present day nostalgia act. I'm sure he would've put out some more amazing stuff had he been around longer, but his brief career permanently shook up the guitar/rock world in a special way.

I think if Hendrix were still around he'd still be flooring us with amazing material.

Archived