Gibson Brands Forums

Pickguard - ES-339

Bob M.

I have a Gibson ES-339 guitar that I like very much. But one thing I wish I could change would be the pickguard. The guitar is a beautiful sunburst with very yellowed/aged looking bindings and the switch tip for the pickup selector switch is also very yellowed/aged looking, very nice. The only thing that bugs me, aesthetically speaking, is the black pickguard. It has a white/black/white reveal around the bottom and side circumference and the whites in the pickguard lamination are very, very white and kind of stand out from the rest of the guitar. I know from my other Gibsons that I can wait 40 years and this will self-correct but I'd prefer not to wait.

My question: Is it possible to get a pickguard with an 'aged' look so whites in the white/black/white laminate part of the pickguard are more yellowed and fit in better with the aesthetics of this instrument? Does anyone know of a third party parts guy or someone that can do this?

Thanks in adv.,

Bob M.

I have a Gibson ES-339 guitar that I like very much. But one thing I wish I could change would be the pickguard. The guitar is a beautiful sunburst with very yellowed/aged looking bindings and the switch tip for the pickup selector switch is also very yellowed/aged looking, very nice. The only thing that bugs me, aesthetically speaking, is the black pickguard. It has a white/black/white reveal around the bottom and side circumference and the whites in the pickguard lamination are very, very white and kind of stand out from the rest of the guitar. I know from my other Gibsons that I can wait 40 years and this will self-correct but I'd prefer not to wait.

My question: Is it possible to get a pickguard with an 'aged' look so whites in the white/black/white laminate part of the pickguard are more yellowed and fit in better with the aesthetics of this instrument? Does anyone know of a third party parts guy or someone that can do this?

Thanks in adv.,

Bob M.

Hi Bob, I have a 339 on order also. There was a place I ran across while looking for a pick guard for my Strat and they will make to your spec's. They are called pick guards.com. Give those folks a try, they will make from your original or you can send them a template. I would bet thay already have a tempalte for the 339 by now. If it works out with them, let us know, I may want to do the same thing when mine arrives.

Good luck, http://www.pickguards.com/

Mike

Bob, I bought a pickguard from the guys that Toolman was talking about. They are a division of WD music. I think it was about $40.00. There was about a 2 week turnaround. I sent them a tracing of the pickguard I wanted, including the assorted holes. I dealt with a very nice guy named Virgil. Here is their email, address and phone number.

Custom Pickguards

custompickguards@wdmusic.com

17570 North Tamiami Trail Suite 1

North Fort Myers, Florida

Att: Custom Pickguards

1-800-449-9348 Ext. 112 for the Custom Shop.

Nice to know you had a good experience with them. I hadn't purchased from them but a luthier I know suggested them to me last year. Personally, I'm not crazy about the black pick guard or the black humbucker bezels against the antique red I ordered. It looks fine on the Vintage Sunburst tho. Kinda thinking a cream would look sexier. Don't know if I'll ever change those or not, I have plenty of time to noodle on it.

Is it possible to get a pickguard with an 'aged' look so whites in the white/black/white laminate part of the pickguard are more yellowed and fit in better with the aesthetics of this instrument?

I agree with you Bob. But before you fork out cash for a custom pick guard, you might want to try aging yours first.

One way to darken the white plastic is to let it sit in a tray coffee for a few minutes ... but not long, or you'll age it too much. Keep taking it out periodically and checking it until white of the PG has darkened enough to match that of the binding.

I haven't done this myself, but considered it. Instead, because I'm a finger picker and because I like the "naked" look, I ended up just leaving the guard off.

• 1 year later...

Archived