Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson admits wrong doing

Thunderchild

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I've read, the Gibson Board feels that the Feds gave them a shakedown. It was guestimated that the legal fees to defend themselves was going to cost between $1 - $3 million. So, $250k is considered a bargain.

Now Gibson also claims they did nothing wrong -- mostly nothing. They say that the ebony imported while perfectly legally obtained was indeed finished wood (the Lacey Act forbids unfinished ebony). Although I have also read that it was 'nearly finished.' Apparently there is a very fine line between finished and unfinished and a little more refinement on the Ebony -- just a little bit -- and Gibson would have been in the clear.

On to the Political Aspect to this: Gibson is a very conservative company. They did not contribute to Obama in 2008 while many on their boards are very active Republicans: Breaux and Hatch to name two. Gibson's CEO feels that the Obama administration is acting like Chicago thug/gangsters in pursuing this.

He has a point when the Administration just in recent days declined to prosecute former Gov. Corzine whose company MF Global lost or lost track of 2 billion dollars in customers funds. They claimed that they got mixed up and accidentally invested customer funds and Lost it in the market. ?? Okay, if they say. Nevertheless, Obama's Justice Dept. just declined to prosecute them for any wrongdoing. Remember Corzine was a major democratic advisor on the Stimulus and advisor to VP Biden, a heavy democratic contributor and power broker and a huge supporter of the president's -- he's been the Democratic Governor of N.J. and of course, the CEO of MF Global, a company that traded for customers.

Of course, all and more of what I spoke of is on the record and can easily be Googled. In my opinion, with everything considered, Gibson does seem to have reason to fear the Obama Administration.

When you're fashioning a hat for yourself, which gauge tin foil do you prefer?

Archived