Gibson Brands Forums

Seymour Duncan on Mars

Searcy

I have said many times that making pickups isn't rocket science. Seems I'm wrong.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/seymour-duncan-company/7-minutes-of-terror/

On August 5th, at 10:31 P.M. PT, the large nuclear powered rover named Curiosity will begin its treacherous descent down to the planet Mars. Over the course of seven minutes, a number of extremely advanced systems will kick in, in the hopes of slowing the rover down and gently depositing it into the surface of this foreign world. A key to this being successful is the descent radar, developed in part by Seymour Duncan’s own Wayne Rothermich. When not helping to develop pickups like our Blackouts, Wayne likes to challenge himself with coming up with out of this world technology. We recently talked with him about what those seven minutes will be like.

Working on something for so long and seeing it actually work right is a great feeling. I have many people ask me why it's so hard to do things like this. Movies like Astronaut Farmer don't help! My standard response is to imagine building a car that has to run for millions of miles and you DON’T get to service it.

Great job on this mission. [thumbup]

Archived