Gibson Brands Forums

Trash picked a computer yesterday Someoe left RAM and a hard drive in it hehe, also the lot was left in there hehe

FenderGuy1

Powers on, but its stuck at full speed on the processor and the video card doesnt show any picture omfg i was gonna use this computer, might as well rebuild it! it has a pentium 4 cpu and mobo, Takes SATA hard drives tho theres a different type hard drive in there -_-

Guest farnsbarns

Powers on, but its stuck at full speed on the processor and the video card doesnt show any picture omfg i was gonna use this computer, might as well rebuild it! it has a pentium 4 cpu and mobo, Takes SATA hard drives tho theres a different type hard drive in there -_-

The only thing likely to be in there is IDE, Have you looked in the BIOS settings? That said, Most desktop P4s didn't have speed stepping. What makes you think there is an issue with the processor?

Have you tried pulling the gfx card and reseating, or try another cheap card, PCI will probably do.

Alright, so if it's SATA you probably have an XP-MC2006 computer, in which case you should probably just put it to XP Home if Windows has any issues. As far as your mobo/CPU goes, I can't help you unless I see the problem myself.

Guest farnsbarns

There is no picture on the screen, which most likely would be an issue with the Motherboard or CPU

Gfx card and RAM are just as likely. In my experience, RAM is what I would try first. That said, it would depend on what I had to hand to try swapping, if I had a gfx card but no ram that's what I'd try first.

yea, and um, i just found out that its got an IDE Motherboard, i just used the wrong cable LOL, silly me, i need sound drivers for windows 2000, i installed it on an old ASI desktop that had a problem when it booted, it said Loading "Windows Vista" and it had XP on it LOL, and i installed Win 2000 because i like win 2000

The fact that it has someone's data on it make's it dangerous for you to own it pulling stuff out of the garbage is illegal in most countries, I don't know about where you live but once it's been thrown away it's been given to the government or city for destruction and if you take or use any data off a computer system that you have removed from a trash receptacle you can be prosecuted for any misuse of the data, including a licensed operating system. So instead of thinking it's funny and talking about it on the internet, you should be deleting and reformatting the hard drive asap. the only protection from the law is if you purchased it somewhere than your not violating the law if anything was left on it, because the commercial reseller should have cleaned it. Dumpster diving and taking things out of the trash for personal use is a very risky thing to do from a legal perspective so be careful and if you can't be careful be quiet or your liable to end up on the wrong side in a legal case. It's the same as digging through the dumpsters or garbage can's for cancelled checks and credit card data it's a felony in most places especially in the US and mod other countries that have banking laws and personal identity laws on the books. A lot of people think that once something is in the trash it's free for anyone to take which is not true your usually breaking the law by digging in the trash.

I reformatted instantly, and installed Windows on the hard drive, i kept the HDD out of the tower and put it in a machine that works, the HDD was just bloated with pr0n and cat pictures, so i wiped it clean. and then installed Windows XP on it

This thread is really just more creepy to me than anything.

So you go through people's trash (possibly even a neighbor that you're familiar with) and you take their computer and look through their pictures and stuff? Not only is it really unsanitary to dig through trash, but I feel like it's a complete violation of people's privacy.

I guess it depends on how you're doing it and I know you don't have bad intentions or anything, it's just a little off putting to me. I'm not trying to flame you (after all I'm not really in a position to pass judgement) but I hope you're not going through your neighbor's personal trash cans.

So you go through people's trash (possibly even a neighbor that you're familiar with) and you take their computer and look through their pictures and stuff? Not only is it really unsanitary to dig through trash, but I feel like it's a complete violation of people's privacy.

I guess it depends on how you're doing it and I know you don't have bad intentions or anything, it's just a little off putting to me. I'm not trying to flame you (after all I'm not really in a position to pass judgement) but I hope you're not going through your neighbor's personal trash cans.

Nope, i go through public dumpsters and shop dumpsters

Nope, i go through public dumpsters and shop dumpsters

Still....

You and my bass player's dog would get along well....

He'd bring home dinner, and you'd bring home personal entertainment....

Get and grip. It is not uncommon for folks to pickup PCs out of the thrash, there can be a lot of useful hardware that can be used. When you throw stuff out on the curb as trash, it pretty much open for the public. If a person has a privacy issue with their trash, they should dispose of it properly.

Do you keep your trash in a safe?

Grip and sip :)

Yes I keep my trash in a safe. I'm pretty sure it's actually a law here in California that people cannot go through your personal trash can. Either way, if I see someone going through my trash I'm going to make them leave.

It's not really that I'm hiding something, it just bothers me.

Archived