Gibson Brands Forums

What would this be?

jannusguy2

I'm betting it's even rarer than a J-35. With the non-slanted logo, the subtle sunburst sides, and that apparent FON, this could be an original 1934 Jumbo, which is as rare as it gets. The tuners, however, might suggest a J-35.

It's a roll of the dice here, as you are looking at major restoration cost. If it's an original Jumbo, it's worth doing. If it's a J-35, I'm not sure. Unfortunately, because of the condition, it isn't clear that you could just do simple repairs to turn it into a player.

This one would require some soul-searching. Based on the bids, I suspect others are willing to roll the dice.

I'm betting it's even rarer than a J-35. With the non-slanted logo, the subtle sunburst sides, and that apparent FON, this could be an original 1934 Jumbo, which is as rare as it gets. The tuners, however, might suggest a J-35.

It's a roll of the dice here, as you are looking at major restoration cost. If it's an original Jumbo, it's worth doing. If it's a J-35, I'm not sure. Unfortunately, because of the condition, it isn't clear that you could just do simple repairs to turn it into a player.

This one would require some soul-searching. Based on the bids, I suspect others are willing to roll the dice.

Nick ,

could that even be a TROJAN ??? .

really beautiful guitars those trojan and J 35's .

JC

Nick ,

could that even be a TROJAN ??? .

really beautiful guitars those trojan and J 35's .

JC

Don't know, JC. I've never actually seen a Trojan. Look at the the photo on page 10 of Fabulous Flat Tops. Except for the lack of Grover tuners, the guitar in the auction looks pretty much just like this, if you look beyond the damage and wear. Note the sunburst sides and the straght (non-angled) logo.

I'm always intrigued by the 'don't ask me about this guitar 'cause I don't know nuthin' listings. The pics are good though, but that top seems to be caving which would trigger many questions regarding the guts of this big ol' girl. Even if it's a ruse it gets a seller off the hook and leaves the prospective buyer to make a number of assumptions. If I had money and a good luthier shop set up, I'd be bidding.

I'm always intrigued by the 'don't ask me about this guitar 'cause I don't know nuthin' listings. The pics are good though, but that top seems to be caving which would trigger many questions regarding the guts of this big ol' girl. Even if it's a ruse it gets a seller off the hook and leaves the prospective buyer to make a number of assumptions. If I had money and a good luthier shop set up, I'd be bidding.

I don't disagree with you, but there are a lot of unknowns here, like what is under all the duct tape holding the rims together. Based on my experience in several major restorations, including a mid 19th century Martin, I'm guessing you are looking at about a $4K restoration. The trick will be deciding how far to go to try to maintain the look and feel of the vintage guitar, while making the major repairs necessary to turn it into a good player as well as a stable artifact.

It could be a neat project, but I'm guessing that the guitar will go for a lot of money even in this condition, based on the bidding so far. The problem is there is no telling how good the guitar will sound once the work is done. It's one thing to have a rare vintage Gibson. It's quite another to have a rare vintage Gibson that plays and sounds great.

And, no, I'm not one of the guys bidding. Been there and done that. I'm a player now, not a collector.

I don't disagree with you, but there are a lot of unknowns here, like what is under all the duct tape holding the rims together. Based on my experience in several major restorations, including a mid 19th century Martin, I'm guessing you are looking at about a $4K restoration. The trick will be deciding how far to go to try to maintain the look and feel of the vintage guitar, while making the major repairs necessary to turn it into a good player as well as a stable artifact.

It could be a neat project, but I'm guessing that the guitar will go for a lot of money even in this condition, based on the bidding so far. The problem is there is no telling how good the guitar will sound once the work is done. It's one thing to have a rare vintage Gibson. It's quite another to have a rare vintage Gibson that plays and sounds great.

And, no, I'm not one of the guys bidding. Been there and done that. I'm a player now, not a collector.

Me either. My bid certainly wouldn't win the auction.

Yes. It's not quite clear from the pictures, but the body seems to have a uniform dept, indicating an Original Jumbo.

Red 333

Agree. I'd love to take a mirror and illumination and take a peek at the interior side of where the duct tape sits.

MJ

Out of curiosity, do Gibson ever buy up any of these and restore themselves or do they already have collections of [almost] everything from the past?

No and no. They borrow vintage instruments to study and collect specs on. Or at least Ren did.

-- Bob R

• 2 weeks later...

Sold for 7600.00. Wow!

Pesos..?

There were 27 bidders as well..unbelievable.

What comes to mind is that word that came out of the Lebonese Mason's mouth when I ask about he re-pointing our patio wall.

He uttered very few words in English..

Predominantly...Yes...No...and this time with a wave of his hand ..Garbeeje.

Out of interest, if it is a rare OJ and properly restored what would it be worth?

A Jumbo in nice condition would sell for $20K to $25k. Maybe more, since the prices of J-35s have skyrocketed the last couple of years.

-- Bob R

A Jumbo in nice condition would sell for $20K to $25k. Maybe more, since the prices of J-35s have skyrocketed the last couple of years.

-- Bob R

There's a Jumbo on Ebay right now that's been languishing there at a 24K BIN for a couple of months. Looks to be in pretty good shape, too. Good luck...

Archived