Gibson Brands Forums

One Of The First Fender CUstom Acoustics

JuanCarlosVejar

I would have hoped that, from a design (and ultimately a marketing) perspective, they would have started anew with this line and configured the headstock differently. This would distance the product away from the Strat/Tele/etc. world of Fender electrics.

Thus, its product lineage and image is about as far away from legitimate acoustics as one can get.

Not what I'd call a smart move, IMO.

MJ

I don't mind the look at all and it has all the right things to make a guitar sing. The Kingman was a pretty serious guitar back in the day so I understand why they're trying to re-live that legacy. But, I do kind of agree that they should have started a new. I think the price is a bit steep. If it was in the mid to high 2000 range I would seriously consider it. For right now I guess I will have to stand back until a used one comes to market. However on a side note... I think it's the same thing with Epiphone for me. I have played some incredible Epi's but I can't stand to look at that big o'honkin headstock.

A couple of hundred under the price of a well discounted J200 TV ..no ?

Unless the instrument is magical sounding..??

The sides look like basic barely figured maple!

Kind of looks like a Guild.

My Music Zoo Review:

Id go out to try it but the last time I was at The Music Zoo...I had 2 acoustics with me which they encouraged me to bring in as I was considering ordering the Lowden Ziricote Richard Thompson model.

When I got there the price of the Lowden all of a sudden jumped up an additional $2000..and the value of my guitars plunged, as this deficient looking guy they called in from upstairs began nit picking at them like a vulture.

When I left my wife says to me"...you know those guys just tried to steal your guitars.."

In the end,nearly to the dollar of theyre quote I ended up instead with a new Reclaimed Brazilian Rosewood Lowden with Mastergrade Adirondack top.. Custom made to a short Scale with Poilished B&S delivered from dealer in UK.

I wouldn't trust the Music Zoo.

If you just buy something off the shelf & bye bye ..you should be fine, but if you run into trouble with what you bought,I think you'll be in for serious difficulties with them.

I've played a ton of Fender acoustics, big, small, expensive, cheap, vintage, new, you name it...couldn't stand any of em.

Agreed.

My biggest problem with these is that traditionally Fender didn't make any nice or high end acoustics. They were all cheap little beaters that were great for what they were. They never made no high dollar, boutique flat tops. I don't get it guys. Did the marketing dept at Fender miss this one? How are they going to make money on these? Maybe I'm wrong...

I totally see what you mean. I feel similarly about the expensive Freshman, Tanglewood and similar acoustics. Who is going to spend SJ200 money on a guitar that, however good it is, still has that budget brand on the headstock?

Don't get me wrong, I love a good budget guitar-one of the most played guits in my stable is a little Takamine EG416S New Yorker. Cute, great neck, sounds great (even better plugged in) for the money...but I paid £300 for it. If I'd paid £2500, I would be finding fault with it all day long, but I reckon at £300 it was a steal, and I don't care about the name on the headstock.

The problem, as you said, for Fender is that people with $3000 to burn buy an SJ200 or a top end Martin, not a Fender acoustic which, however good it is, will have minimal resale value as soon as you exit the shop with it.

A couple of hundred under the price of a well discounted J200 TV ..no ?

Unless the instrument is magical sounding..??

The sides look like basic barely figured maple!

Kind of looks like a Guild.

My Music Zoo Review:

Id go out to try it but the last time I was at The Music Zoo...I had 2 acoustics with me which they encouraged me to bring in as I was considering ordering the Lowden Ziricote Richard Thompson model.

When I got there the price of the Lowden all of a sudden jumped up an additional $2000..and the value of my guitars plunged, as this deficient looking guy they called in from upstairs began nit picking at them like a vulture.

When I left my wife says to me"...you know those guys just tried to steal your guitars.."

In the end,nearly to the dollar of theyre quote I ended up instead with a new Reclaimed Brazilian Rosewood Lowden with Mastergrade Adirondack top.. Custom made to a short Scale with Poilished B&S delivered from dealer in UK.

I wouldn't trust the Music Zoo.

If you just buy something off the shelf & bye bye ..you should be fine, but if you run into trouble with what you bought,I think you'll be in for serious difficulties with them.

NIck,

I remember you mentioned they gave you a SJ 200 TV to play and it sounded like a clunker , right ?

JC

NIck,

I remember you mentioned they gave you a SJ 200 TV to play and it sounded like a clunker , right ?

JC

No,It was a Custom Shoppe J200 with Madagascar Rosewood Back & Sides..Madagascar Fingerboard & Bridge.

And top I think was Sitka & neck I vaguely remember maple.

Looked great but pretty much deaf.

Also before that a J45 Vine..which was so heavy & unresponsive that I could not believe it was a Bozeman Guitar as all I tried till that were good.

I had to go back to retry it to make sure I was not somehow mistaken.

Here are the rest of them.

http://www.fender.com/en-BM/products/acoustics

I know that every guitar should be purchased

on its own merits, but I think this series at this much $$$

may suffer - even with Ren behind them. Why? Stigma...Fender has been so

Asian, and inexpensive for so long, they have become known as entry guitars.

I had 3 of them in the early 80s. Remember the Springhill series? Came and went without trace.

They were nice too.

I have gotten to play a few of the 1960s Kingmans, Malibus and what have you. All had the infamous "broomstick" running the length of the body. But all in all, they were not near as bad as memory made them out to be. I think they looked cool and sounded good enough that I was tempted to buy one.

It does seem kinda strange though that Fender would introduce a line of acoustics with their own logo to compete with Guild. Maybe it is going to be a similar deal like when Bozeman would on rare occasion release USA-made Epiphones. I am guessing though Fender does not really need Ren at Guild (unless the want to add some bling) as from what I gather from folks that have bought the latest New Hampshire-made Guilds they are great flippin' guitars. So whomever is designing them is apparently doing a cracker jack job.

Not for me.

I don't even like the look of them, and the prices are way high.

I think Fender should stick with what they are good at and leave the acoustics to Gibson, Collings etc. Who would buy that ugly cutaway with a strat style headstock for that money . . . you could get a great Collings, Gibson or Martin for that

Looks aside,I look forward to playing and hearing them.

The Strat headstock doesn't really bug me ,as it will certainly

identify it as a Fender product.They will definitely need to

play and sound amazing to justify the price.

I too thought Ren would be focusing on the Guild line.

Archived