Gibson Brands Forums

1960 Gibson Melody Maker?

d_arkangel

I have what i've been told is a 1960 Gibson Melody Maker that i've owned for the last 15 years. it is heavily modified but no question in my mind its a MM. The headstock is definitely a MM from all the pics i've seen in my research thus far and the truss rod cover plate is also definitely the exact shape of many other 60's era MM's. It has a Humbucker (bridge position) and a mini Humbucker (neck postition), 3-way selector switch, and 4 volume/tone knobs all in a row (can't seem to find pics of any setup like it or the tailpiece that goes way below the bridge). The body was refinished so it doesn't say Gibson on the headstock but it is unmistakable when you play it (the beat up hard case says Gibson as well, even though its probably not the original case). Grover Tuners. The Vol/Tone knobs I am told were off of a Fender Telecaster to match the Chrome/Black look. Custom Homemade metal pickguard. I was told it was originally a single cutaway but the 2 previous owners were leftys so it was turned into a double cutaway, I can tell because the rest of the guitar turns green under blacklight except that portion where they cut it away because the paint is different. Considered chipping the paint on the back of the headstock to get at the serial buried below. I've done a lot of looking around online and only seen 2 others in my life that were almost as old and i can't seem to find any that are quite like this. I know its a shame what was done to it before I took possession I want to refinish/restore it correctly but im a broke college student for the time being. This guitar is a part of my soul. Her name is Sammy Jean (The one condition of purchase was keeping her name). Any help identifying her would be greatly appreciated! Also curious what she's worth. Thanks!

The guitar has been modified beyond the reasonable cost of refin/restoration.

The value for one in good condition, unmodified is only $1500 to max $2000.

Fix up the squeal.and that's as far as you should go.

It is what it is.

Just play the hell out of it.

Thanks for the input Cam!

To me there is no cost great enough that I wouldn't spend it if I could to restore it.

Not really worried about it because i'll never sell it.

If anything i'd sand it down and refinish it black again CORRECTLY and put the Gibson Logo back on it where it belongs.

And as far as playing the hell out of her goes....

She's my hot little black wife.

She never says a word.

She only screams when I beat her.

And she always makes sure she's heard.

Owning a 1964 Melody Maker D DC myself, and having researched them extensively, i can tell you a few things.

First and foremost, the guitar was made between '61 and '63, since the doublecut model wasn't introduced until 61, and they made the horns longer and pointier in '64, a transition period before the "SG" shaped Melody Makers of '66 and on. It doesn't look like it was a modified singlecut; the neck to body joint is too perfectly symmetrical. It's definitely an original doublecut.

Second, the guitar will never sound like it did back then. Too much wood has been removed, the extra holes bored out for the stopbar, and the body has been refinished and covered in stickers. And chances are it isn't nitro it was finished in.

Melody Makers have always been great modding platforms to me. Solid, one-piece mahogany bodies and necks, Brazillian or Cocobolo fingerboards, great upper fret access and the best necks i've ever played. Not to mention light as hell. I bought mine all-original, and since then i've replaced the bridge, tuners, bridge pickup and pickguard. All completely reversible mods, if I ever (god forbid) need to sell it. If you don't like the sound or feel of it now, mod it. If you like it, don't fix what isn't broken.

It's definitely a Gibson Melody Maker, as I can't recall Any guitar company (other than Epiphone) knocking it off, and the headstock and neck joint look correct, as does the fretboard and body thickness.

As for value; none to a collector. What it's worth, is what it's worth to you.

Hope this helped a bit.

The guitar has been modified beyond the reasonable cost of refin/restoration.

The value for one in good condition, unmodified is only $1500 to max $2000.

Fix up the squeal.and that's as far as you should go.

It is what it is.

Just play the hell out of it.

I agree with ya Cam ! Has been far too much modification done. Enjoy it as is with its personal touch!

Great action shots, D-Ark

Archived