Gibson Brands Forums

LP Studio Deluxe 60's

newpicker

I am looking at the LP Studio Deluxe and wanted to get opinions from those with some experience with the model. I like the 60's slim neck and the coil splitting features. I plan on dropping by GC this weekend but wanted your up-front pros/cons. I believe it only comes in Heritage Cherry Sunburst or Vintage Sunburst colors, both of which I really like(difficult decision if I buy). Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to GC today and all they had were baked maple fretboard models. Nothing wrong with that but their on-line description states rosewood and I have my heart set on rosewood. Was told that none were avaiable and not to try to find one but they just happened to have a used one for $1199. Would not dicker with me. In fact, they really put on the pressure including their additional warranty. Came home and called Musicians Friend and was guaranteed that their new guitars had rosewood. Ordered a new one from them for the same price as the used GC model. Feeling a little PO'ed at GC. I'll get over it when UPS gets here.

Went to GC today and all they had were baked maple fretboard models. Nothing wrong with that but their on-line description states rosewood and I have my heart set on rosewood. Was told that none were avaiable and not to try to find one but they just happened to have a used one for $1199. Would not dicker with me. In fact, they really put on the pressure including their additional warranty. Came home and called Musicians Friend and was guaranteed that their new guitars had rosewood. Ordered a new one from them for the same price as the used GC model. Feeling a little PO'ed at GC. I'll get over it when UPS gets here.

Got it yet? Piccies please.....

I did get it. The selector switch was upside down and loose. Otherwise, it looks good and I do like it. Will post some pics later. BTW, it has a baked maple fretboard. Still looks great so I will handle it. However, now I'm a little PO'ed at MF. Running out of trusted music stores.

This is from Gibson's web site describing the guitar you are looking at:

Fingerboard

Species

The Les Paul Studio Deluxe ’60s is equipped with a baked maple fingerboard.

Obviously someone is not being totally up front.

Gibson Co. are proven liars.Just ask the DOJ

Guitar Center and Musicians Frind will say whatever you want to hear to make a sale.

Perhaps prior years of this model had rosewood boards... who knows.

Just picked one of these up on Friday at GC. I played several LP's and this one was the clear winner. This was the only Deluxe they had in stock, but compared to the other models I played that clearly had the new baked maple fretboards, I'm pretty certain mine has a rosewood board. There is an obvious difference cpmparing them side by side. Mine has a serial # that dates it to the middle of 2011 and it was around that time Gibson switched to the maple, however, I'm sure there were a few guitars that were probably fitted with rosewood during the transition period. I thought the baked maple felt/looked really nice anyway so either woul d have been fine either way. The Deluxe is just an awesome guitar for the money!

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

Just picked one of these up on Friday at GC.

What a finish - that's one gorgeous guitar!!! The maple cap edge has an air of binding about it and the lack of plastic feels great to me. Why would anyone need to pay almost double for a Standard?

What a finish - that's one gorgeous guitar!!! The maple cap edge has an air of binding about it and the lack of plastic feels great to me. Why would anyone need to pay almost double for a Standard?

Agreed! Like I said, I played several others and this one played and sounded the best. The combination of the 490R in the neck and the burstbucker pro in the bridge is awesome. I'm really diggin' the middle position on this guitar. Although it doesn't have a plastic binding it actually has a wood binding that is lighter in color than the back which really sets it off nicely. Here is a pic of the back;

IMG_0080.jpg

I had previously seen the Gibson site description that the Deluxe had a baked maple fretboard but MF's description states rosewood which is why I called them to confirm what they had. I assumed they had what they claimed.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-les-paul-studio-deluxe-electric-guitar

No big deal now that I have it. Just lost some confidence in them, that's all.

I have a 2009 LP Studio Deluxe and absolutly love it. Wouldn't sell it for anything. No frills, fast neck, excellent tone. All around great guitar. Good luck with yours. ENJOY!

Oh yeah, it has the rosewood fretboard, but if it were maple it wouldn't bother me at all. Fender has been doing quite well with maple necks and boards for years. I've got two of them and they play and sound just fine. My Tele has a maple board and my Strat has a rosewood board. I chose the boards when I bought the guitars for the way the color complimented the body color. They both play and sound great.

Sales people are liars

Guvernmeant types are liars

Is it ok when the guber-meant unjustifiably steals material for manufacturing?

Sorry If I mos-readu or interpreted your post in error

I purposely mis-spelled words for all you wordy gurdy spelling types out there

This is from Gibson's web site describing the guitar you are looking at:

Fingerboard

Species

The Les Paul Studio Deluxe ’60s is equipped with a baked maple fingerboard.

Obviously someone is not being totally up front.

Gibson Co. are proven liars.Just ask the DOJ

Guitar Center and Musicians Frind will say whatever you want to hear to make a sale.

Perhaps prior years of this model had rosewood boards... who knows.

Archived