Gibson Brands Forums

Turn In - Tune On

E-minor7

This is something that ought to be covered as I see it. We know there is a lot of passion tied to the topic, and as all aspects of the guitars seems to be touched here, it must be time to bring it up.

Of course people will have certain preferences for certain models etc., but that's only an opportunity to 'fabulate'* a bit further (gear ratio, actual mechanism. . . ).

Thought of making a pole, but changed the idea. It would too rigid in this context, so here we go – What is your Top 5 ? :

Black/Brown Buttons

Butterbeans

Chrome Buttons

Imperials (Art Deco)

Gold Buttons

Gotohs curved rectangular shaped

Grovers kidney shaped

Tulips

White Buttons

, , , and whatever is left out here. . . .

Notice the alphabetical order.

*Means babble away like telling a fable -

Waverlys are the best machineheads I've ever used. Beautiful looking and great action.

Grover Rotomatics are ugly but indestructible on the road.

Tulip button Kluson-alikes have never served me well. I went through THREE sets on my old SJ200 (stock Klusons fell apart, replacement Wilkinsons fell apart, replacement Grover Klusonalikes fell apart) until I chucked a set of Rotomatics on it out of sheer frustration.

I like the Chrome-button Klusons on my AJ very much. When they wear out (I use a lot of altered tunings over the course of a gig), I'll put Waverlys in their place, I reckon.

Hate Rotomatics from an aesthetic perspective, as practical as they may be. Love Grover Sta-tites, however. I put these on my old J-45 in about 1970. Cheap, and reliable Regret to say I gave the original Klusons to the guy who was doing work on the guitar at the time. Hindsight is great stuff.

GroverSta-Tite.jpg

grover.jpg

Always been a fan of the tulips.... [biggrin]

Hard to beat the look, for sure. I've got both single-rings and double-rings on various guitars, some original, some modern replacements. The modern versions seem to vary in quality, as do the originals, for that matter.

When I think of Gibson ... Tulips automatically come to mind, and are must have's for me, unless its a J-45/SJ then it has to be butter beans.

Dont care for the other designs much, but I absolutely can't stand the imperials (I think thats the name) that come on some SJ-200's.

On non-Gibson guitars I most like these type vintage tuners, no idea what they are called.

IMG_4037.jpg

Ok , I can't help but seize the opportunity to post my favorite pic of my open back(relic'd) Waverlys that I put on my J45. Most have probably seen it already as it has been up here a few times.....

Gradbday2011026.jpg[thumbup]

These Waverly's are essentially updated (and better) variations on the Grover Sta-Tites, which have been around forever. The Gotoh's used by Martin on the 000-28 EC and some other models follow a similar pattern. They are a bit less bulky than the Sta-Tites, have a better gear ratio, and are more refined in their finish details.

Ok , I can't help but seize the opportunity to post my favorite pic of my open back(relic'd) Waverlys that I put on my J45. Most have probably seen it already as it has been up here a few times.....

Gradbday2011026.jpg[thumbup]

those are truly gorgeous , do u mind telling how much they stung ?

i got grover open backed sta-tites , well pleased . and werent expensive . didnt like the little white ones that came on my j45 historic.... are they called 'butterbeans'?

i dont know the terminology , apart from tulips

those are truly gorgeous , do u mind telling how much they stung ?

i got grover open backed sta-tites , well pleased . and werent expensive . didnt like the little white ones that came on my j45 historic.... are they called 'butterbeans'?

i dont know the terminology , apart from tulips

BBG, those shown in the photo you are referring to are the relic'd open-back Waverly's with "butterbeans", and they cost just under $170 a set from stewmac. If you love your guitar, they may be worth it.

The button style you are referring to on your J-45 tuners is called "oval".

"oval".

Yeah, maybe I should have written 'ovals', but aren't they sometimes called 'buttons' also.

Never mind.

Launching a new thread must be what it feels like for a band to release a single. You think it could be a hit, but never really know. This one seems to get a share of air-play. Positive – not least because the topic is hot, , , for me anyway. I really am into the mechanics and think of them as some kind of the guitars crown. Always was very involved and f.x. thought my D-35 curved/regtangulars were rather boring.

Personal favorites are Chrome Ovals, White Ovals and Tulips - not necessarily in that order, depends on the instrument. It's peculiar to realize that I couldn't live without them in the house. Butterbeans comes in 4th, , , or #5 as I like the 3 in a line snakewood 'ovals' on brass on my 12-fret a lot too.

Keep Turning !

That continues to be a strong set pasthej45 -

BBG, those shown in the photo you are referring to are the relic'd open-back Waverly's with "butterbeans", and they cost just under $170 a set from stewmac. If you love your guitar, they may be worth it.

ah!! i bought butterbeans then ! lol

i do love my guitar lots .... maybe one day :)

but i do really like my grover sta-tites, your recommendation didnt go amiss nick when i ordered them.

good thread em7 , may your threads will always be hits

That's exactly right Nick, they are from Stew Mac and the price is right on . I only have one "real" guitar so I thought I'd indulge myself.

Archived