Gibson Brands Forums

Vai admits to being a wanker

Kimbabig

Your right...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn09Xn9JF5s

It so damn cheesy i couldnt stop laughing.

Why do you say that? Not a blues fan? Let me ask, what do you think of the older guys like B.B., Muddy, Freddie, both Alberts, and Buddy?

Joe has actually stated that he is a fan of metal. That might piss off some of his fanbase (The type that think that anything besides blues-based rock is bad....), but I can hear it in his playing. He is also heavily influenced by classical music.

I am not the biggest fan of "guitar music", but you can't deny that he's a great player. I like his music. I like him more with BCC. I can't listen to him all day, though.

I cannot really take him, or many others of his ilk, very seriously. I love the blues and all, but while I enjoy his music every now and then, it's too fancy. Kenny Wayne Shepherd is great, but he's too fancy. I would definitely take him more seriously if his gear wasn't so damn luxurious. While it doesn't matter what you use as long as you like it (His setup facillitates the sound he hears in his head.), his equipment is actually a turn off to me. Honestly, for blues, I prefer a good Les Paul, a couple of pedals (A wah, overdrive, and of course a tuner!), and a Marshall amp. Not anything close to what he uses. It's more Brian Robertson than Eric Johnson. And when I want fancy blues, I'll listen to Gary Moore.

I love the blues and I'm happy people still love it and play it, but there's too much of the same kind out there. I think there should be more blues BANDS, not blues players with a backing band.

Hes a great player but very predictable and he does that cheesy modern day blues guitarist things in his riffs and solos which i admit i do myself sometimes but i kinda dislike.

I'm a fan of older blues, atmospheres are amazing and really cant be reproducible today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3yd-c91ww8

Most of the blues guys nowadays are predictable. Jonny Lang and Derek Trucks are great, though. I like Joe and Kenny Wayne. Don't care for John Mayer.

I do that too...Mostly cause' of the music I grew up on: AC/DC, KISS/Ace Frehley solo, Savoy Brown, early Rush, Zeppelin, Clapton, Hendrix, Ten Years After, Van Halen, etc. All full of the first position pentatonic scale.

At least he's not a direct SRV clone....If I had a dollar for every one of those.....I love SRV, but not his clones. If I had to pick a favorite electric blues player, I'd either pick Michael Bloomfield, Albert King, Johnny Winter, or Kim Simmonds (Savoy Brown).

Most of the blues guys nowadays are predictable. Jonny Lang and Derek Trucks are great, though. I like Joe and Kenny Wayne. Don't care for John Mayer.

I do that too...Mostly cause' of the music I grew up on: AC/DC, KISS/Ace Frehley solo, Savoy Brown, early Rush, Zeppelin, Clapton, Hendrix, Ten Years After, Van Halen, etc. All full of the first position pentatonic scale.

At least he's not a direct SRV clone....If I had a dollar for every one of those.....I love SRV, but not his clones. If I had to pick a favorite electric blues player, I'd either pick Michael Bloomfield, Albert King, Johnny Winter, or Kim Simmonds (Savoy Brown).

I know what you mean, but really there's only two SRV "Clones" I can think of. Kenny Wayne Sheppard and Johnny Lang, and both of those guys have found their own voice nowadays. I wouldn't say they changed for the better, as they both still suck pretty bad.

Granted I don't really follow new blues guys for the reasons mentioned in Dem00ns post (predictability and staleness). But I will say it's not the artists fault. It's the record companies and audiences that have a hard time accepting anything fresh and different in the blues, they say "It's not Blues". Of course R.L. Burnside may have had something to say about that.

Cool video,

did any one watch long enough to hear his take on Cobalt strings?

I did! I'm gonna try them out for size given the Dunlops I've been using aren't doing it for me.

I think it's very cool that Steve is so passionate about his JEMs. His collection is so out-of-the-ordinary. I only saw two Les Pauls! But I think it's a breath of fresh air after seeing some with ten 1962 sunburst Strats in a row. The JEMs are nice guitars. The only thing I don't care for is the scalloped neck and the pickups they come with. If they made one unscalloped and with different DiMarzios (I'd prefer a Super Distortion in the bridge, PAF Pro in the neck, and HS-2 in the middle!), I'd buy it easily. And I like that they're made with alder, not basswood.

I should also note that his Yngwie impression was priceless! Someone get this guy on SNL for crying out loud!

I did! I'm gonna try them out for size given the Dunlops I've been using aren't doing it for me.

I had the same reaction he did, at first, you're really not sure about it, but after about an hour or so, then your realizing they are clearer, more punch and finger responsive, and they settled down and held tune incredibly fast. Give them a shot, you may like what you hear and feel.

Archived