Gibson Brands Forums

1929-30 (?) Gibson HG20 Hawaiian

Tafmutt

Interesting, but probably grossly over-priced. Apparently, they don't convert well, unlike the Roy Smecks.

Somewhere between most and all of these were built to play Spanish, rather than Hawaiian, despite the "HG" designation. No conversion necessary.

I know they have a reputation for not sounding that great, but the couple of HG-22s I've played have both been terrific guitars. Other people who hear them seem to like them. And several vintage guitar buffs who have played a bunch -- well, a handful, but that's a lot considering how rare these are -- tell me they've had the same experience. So, the bottom line is that I have no idea why they have that reputation, and it's completely undeserved, as far as I can tell. Maybe your experience has been different.

As for the price, they don't come up often and I don't know what the Vintage Price Guide would have to say, but HG-22s in nice condition were selling for $3500-4000 on eBay and for up to $5000 in shops a few years ago. An HG-20 would be a bit lower, of course, but I don't think $2800 is outrageous. (Although I also wouldn't be surprised if you can get it for significantly less.)

-- Bob R

I had one of these for a few years. They're interesting guitars with a unique sound - a bit like a very sweet wood bodied resonator, very articulate and punchy. They're really good for blues and ragtime. There are enough of them around not to be considered super rare but the HG family are probably the scarcest of the standard production 30s flat top models.

I paid 1500GBP for mine, which had a bad amateur refinish and needed various structural work, so by the time I had those issues taken care of I felt I had too much invested in it, but $2800 for an unmolested one seems reasonable. We pay well over US prices for vintage guitars over here anyway so I don't begrudge what I spent on mine. I've seen a refinished one go for similar and a good condition one at upward of $3500 in the last few years, although those were reputable dealers and I also know of people who have paid in the low $1000s for them through Ebay and private sales.

I owned an HG-24 for a bit. They are kinda like a guitar built inside a guitar. They have a very specific sound and unless you are looking for that sound. I almost bought another one last year - it had been refinished and could be had for around $1K. In the end thougth, I recalled I just did not like the one I had that much so cool factor aside - I passed.

Archived