Gibson Brands Forums

Kay Parlor - Lightning Hopkins Tested

flatbaroque

Well looks as though I've fixed it.I'm a lousy handyman and an even worse luthier but it seems my repairs have worked.Neck is solid, action is good.

Strung with 11's at normal pitch.

And my feeling...its boxy , direct and I like it!For small bucks it's a fun thing.

Here's a bit of Lightning Hopkins with some flubbed notes as I was cramping a bit...neck is slightly less than 1 11/16th I think.

What do you all reckon?

As Aussie band the Hoodoo Gurus said "Mars needs Guitars!!!"....we all do. [biggrin]

Here's a bit of Lightning Hopkins with some flubbed notes as I was cramping a bit...neck is slightly less than 1 11/16th I think.

I'd venture to guess that Lightnin's guitars weren't always perfectly set up with nice even and crowned frets..... Flubbed is part of it! Sounds great!

Enjoyed the playing and singing Hoss.

Those Kays hold a special place in the heart of us geezers. In the early 1960s that Kay with the stencilled pickguard and musical note was the one you got with S&H Green or Gold Bond Stamps. Take the stamps Mom got at the grocery store, paste them in the books and you could got your guitar.

I've got one of these hanging on my wall I may have to get down and play.

My Mom got it for me in '61 with Top Value stamps after my older brothers broke up my pawn shop guitar my Dad got me while they were playin' El KaBong.

el_kabong.jpg

I've got one of these hanging on my wall I may have to get down and play.

My Mom got it for me in '61 with Top Value stamps after my older brothers broke up my pawn shop guitar my Dad got me while they were playin' El KaBong.

el_kabong.jpg

Oh Yeah, now that is what I am talking about. You can't help but think about the thousands of musical journeys that were launched on those mail order or bought in the local True Western Kays and Harmonys.

Archived