Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Valve Jr. - worth it?

glennc

Hello,

I have become enamored with the Epiphone Valve Jr. from this forum. So much so that I have priced them and not at the time knowing about the Version differences, found a head for $70 + shipping and 1 year warranty for $99. This is about the cheapest I've found. There are a lot of videos for modifications and that also has an allure. But my question would be, that there are new alternatives for less/same and just slightly more money. I am not knowledgeable about amps, but I've seen Fender Mustang as low as $89 as a combo, Kustom Defender 5H heads for $113, Roland Cubes for $99. Honestly beside brand loyalty or greater knowledge than I possess, would make the used Valve Jr. a first choice? Quite interested in honest opinions. Thanks

Glenn

I have a Valve Special...effectively a Valve Jr Combo with dfx in a lovely leatherette cabinet

It is OK and good VFM with a nice valve drive sound

Personal experience would favour the Roland Cube

Solid build transistor amp with superb usable fx and better clean sounds...

V

:-({|=

I have a Valve Special...effectively a Valve Jr Combo with dfx in a lovely leatherette cabinet

It is OK and good VFM with a nice valve drive sound

Personal experience would favour the Roland Cube

Solid build transistor amp with superb usable fx and better clean sounds...

V

:-({|=

Hello Versatile,

Thanks for weighing in on the subject. I will be purchasing eventually a 112 cabinet, so that will not be a problem. I want a quality sound, fx and amp simulations are not high on my priority list, but certainly wouldn't hurt. I believe a small tube amp is out of my price range, my issue is that my Blues Jr doesn't sound good at the volume I can play it at.

Appreciate your time!

Glenn

Archived