Gibson Brands Forums

Always loved the SG, looking for one with thick neck!

glennc

Hello,

Over the decades I have owned several SG's and have enjoyed them. Currently I have played one after years of alternatives, LP's, ES-335's, ES-135 and even a neat Epi Nighthawk. I wanted to try a Fender Strat and looked at the 2012 American Standard and it was great. Then the salesman brought an SG Standard and it just seemed perfect in my hands. Light, thick neck as I prefer, older stock. Now thinking about trading my ES-135 to help fund, I can't seem to locate an SG Standard Cherry gloss finish with the thick neck and a solid rosewood fretboard. Are they available and I must look harder? Thanks for any assistance!

Glenn

Not a Standard, but the neck on my 1999 Special is pretty fat and I like the feel of it. It is a great guitar, and I don't miss the frills at all...and I like the pickups better. They are pretty close to the old PAF's.

Mine is shiny brown finish and seems to be a one piece body. I love it.

mark

Not a Standard, but the neck on my 1999 Special is pretty fat and I like the feel of it. It is a great guitar, and I don't miss the frills at all...and I like the pickups better. They are pretty close to the old PAF's.

Mine is shiny brown finish and seems to be a one piece body. I love it.

mark

Hello and thanks for responding! The Special, does it have the high gloss finish? I will also investigate!

Glenn

A cherry SG Standard is probably the most common Gibson around. They all have the same gloss finish and every one made before late 2011 has a single piece fretboard. They typically have chunkier necks but I have played a few with slimmer necks. Check your local craigslist and see if you can buy one for around $$600 - $800.

A cherry SG Standard is probably the most common Gibson around. They all have the same gloss finish and every one made before late 2011 has a single piece fretboard. They typically have chunkier necks but I have played a few with slimmer necks. Check your local craigslist and see if you can buy one for around $$600 - $800.

Howdy R9,

So if I want to go Standard, and do want a solid rosewood fretboard, it must be pre 2011. Makes that a bit harder to find. Thanks for the info!

Glenn

Yes an early 2011 will have a solid rosewood board, other than that it is baked maple or two piece Rosewod. With the recent news who knows Gibson may go back to a solid piece??

I must hope that this would happen, if it really is sustainable, environmentally. Would not have thought that in my generation, this sort of thing would ever have happened. Brave new world!

Glenn

Hello,

Over the decades I have owned several SG's and have enjoyed them. Currently I have played one after years of alternatives, LP's, ES-335's, ES-135 and even a neat Epi Nighthawk. I wanted to try a Fender Strat and looked at the 2012 American Standard and it was great. Then the salesman brought an SG Standard and it just seemed perfect in my hands. Light, thick neck as I prefer, older stock. Now thinking about trading my ES-135 to help fund, I can't seem to locate an SG Standard Cherry gloss finish with the thick neck and a solid rosewood fretboard. Are they available and I must look harder? Thanks for any assistance!

Glenn

Try to find a Special faded from between, I think, 02-07.

mines an 07 and has a BIG OL' FAT NECK, on it.

Try to find a Special faded from between, I think, 02-07.

mines an 07 and has a BIG OL' FAT NECK, on it.

Thanks for all the advice. Found a new 2010 and it is perfect. Now it is just losing my ES-135 and pulling the trigger! Feels really sweet...

Glenn

Archived