Gibson Brands Forums

sneak peek at the new EBF bass

ramone57

I saw this on another forum, but thought ya'll would like to see it too. it utilizes the new G3 reissue pickups wired as humbuckers and a Babicz bridge. the guy in the pic is the owner of Babicz. I won't be buying one, but I don't buy many new instruments anyway (my most recent purchase of a new instrument was a Pono ukulele [cool] ). the pic came from the Babciz facebook page.

any Gibson reps care to add any details?

431984_10152010715625122_660160088_n.jpg

I had a '76 G-3 for a while and it sounded really good. Those single coils made it clear, clean and articulate. Though they were wired as humbuckers the coil spacing was what made the tone what it was. The G-3's worked as neck-middle, bridge-middle or all three.

I realize this is not a reissue of a G-3. Rewiring the pickups into single humbuckers changes their character. For the better? I don't know - they were pretty good before. We'll have to wait and see how this bass sounds.

Otherwise it's a Fend-Man with a Gibson headstock. Looks like an Ash body. I hope it all comes together.

It'll probably cost a major cha-ching too as well.

As for the Babicz bridges - I like them! I have one on two of my Jazz basses and I really like the styling and the concept. It does sound different than a high-mass bridge, like BAII. The Babicz looks high-mass but it isn't, the weight is more in line with a standard Fender bridge.

• 2 weeks later...

Otherwise it's a Fend-Man with a Gibson headstock. Looks like an Ash body. I hope it all comes together.

The G-3 looks different (see attached); I think it's a Fend-man with a Gibson headstock as well.

Kind regards,

Stijn

post-15276-078479400 1345729331_thumb.jpg

Archived