Gibson Brands Forums

New SG Standard!!! 2011 Cream White

10K-DB

Well,, what started as a routine trip to local Guitar Center today ended up being a "special" visit.I got the SM57 I needed,and looked at some amps. Out of the corner of my eye,I saw on the Guitar inventory wall,,a row of SG's,different colors ect.And there she was,,hangin in all her splender,a 2011 SG Standard,,,Cream White. I ignored her at first{knowing full well I was lying to myself about how bad I wanted her} Looked around for a while longer,and I said to the salesman" Id like to try out that SG Standard on the wall. So he said sure,,took it into the enclosed sound room.Plugged it into a Twin R first to hear the clean tones,,,and then plugged into a 100wtt 4-12 Marshall,,played for a 1/2 hr or so. Needless to say,,she's now in my studio,,getting cleaned up{not that it wasnt clean,it was} just pulled the plastic sheet off pickgaurd,cleaned with G Polish. Tuned it to all my other Guitars,{below 440 A} We both have a huge grin on our faces now! LOL.

Yea,,Ive always loved SG's for many yrs. Always will. They fit me perfectly,,I love LP's also,but there kindof heavy on the shoulder 4 hrs of club sets a night,but I have a Black beauty LP I use alot for recording. I did make a vid with the SG today,,,check it out if ya got time. Cheers! S http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnNSe_u8Vbg&feature=plcp

Congratulations!!!! [thumbup]

Nice looking SG! They are simply the most fun guitar to play that was ever made. Don't get me wrong, I love my LP, but I have more fun with my SG. It's also great that my SG has the 490/498 pickups and my LP has the Classic 57's. Between the two I can get a very wide range of tones from crystal clean with the LP/Classic 57's to head bangin' heavy distortion with the SG/490/498's.

Enjoy it!!!! :)

Killer tone man! Almost sounds like a nylon string. Very "velvety," though I'm sure you get that tone on any guitar.

Great chops too. What were you using at 2:40? I dig that sound.

Enjoy the guitar man. Why thanks for the kind words,,it has gauge .010's on it now,,I usually use .008"s,,so my chops werent really up to speed as normal. But to answer your question about 2min 40 sec,,I ran the SG thru my Digitech RP-10,,into my Tascam 2488 Neo 24 trk,then just shot the vid "as is" @2:40 I just hit one of my "lead" patches that I modified{user settings}in the RP-10.

Congratulations!!!! [thumbup]

Nice looking SG! They are simply the most fun guitar to play that was ever made. Don't get me wrong, I love my LP, but I have more fun with my SG. It's also great that my SG has the 490/498 pickups and my LP has the Classic 57's. Between the two I can get a very wide range of tones from crystal clean with the LP/Classic 57's to head bangin' heavy distortion with the SG/490/498's.

Enjoy it!!!! :)

Yea ,I checked out a few "other axes" as well as this one.{wont mention which,they were not Gibsons} And the others just didnt have the tone variations that you can get from 2 HB's pickups w/separate vol/tone knobs. Which is something I use alot. The center pickup selection is one of my favs,for live and recording. And these pickups have a sweeter sound than my other SG{96' SG special},not that the "Special" doesnt sound good,,it does,,just these have a different "sweetness" to them. Ive already recorded a "Funk" tune with this one,,,I may not be back on for a few weeks ,,,lol{just kidding} Cheers!

Nice strings, it's just too bad you bought it Wal*Center.

Well,,the Gcenter in my area is pretty good,,no pressure sales guys,,huge selection of everything,fair prices,and they always have free coffee + doughnuts! lol

Congrats !! I love mine !! Nice playing and video as well.

Thanks for the kind words,,,Im making another video now where Im playing to one of my funk tunes called "What the Funk?" and this SG is on ALL gtr trks. This thing records/plays soooo nice. I put gauge .008's on it,and this thing really flies now! And I didnt even have to "retweak" the intonation after the .008' went on it! Amazing!

Archived