Gibson Brands Forums

Which pedal

Bongoscot

I am running a Melody maker into a valve jr head. I was thinking about adding a little color to my sound with some effects pedals and I am not sure where I should start. I was thinking maybe I should get an overdrive pedal, maybe reverb. I am looking for some suggestions on some must have not very pricey pedals. I like to play blues to hard rock. If you had nothing and there was one pedal you just don't want to go without, what is it? Thanks.

Well, the tuner is probably the most important pedal on the board....But I don't think that counts as it doesn't make a sound...

I can't live without an overdrive pedal. I set my amp for a straight in-your-face distortion (I would describe it as a basic Marshall JCM 800 meets Silver Jubilee type tone. Perfect mix of bite and warmth!), but for solos, metal, and any time I want insane feedback and over-the-top stuff, I use an overdrive pedal.

Make fun of me all you want, but my favorite overdrive ever made is still the Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive. I prefer the old MIJ version from the early/mid 80s.

If you're torn between getting a reverb or an overdrive, then it's pretty easy to figure out what you need. If you are happy with the sounds you can get with just the amp, get the reverb. It wont really do anything but add reverb to what you already sound like. Want to get a different sound than what you have now, or have more sounds available to be more versatile, get the overdrive.

Has to be an overdrive like the man says...or a distortion...as you play hard rock I would think about a distortion or even a dual od/dist pedal. If you don't have amp reverb then a reverb pedal will give a little halo and sparkle to your sound, if you do have reverb the 2nd pedal I'd get would be some sort of delay. Pedals get addictive!

Since you are not sure what you want, you may want to get a multi FX pedal. After playing with that for a while you may have a better of idea of what your needs are. Boss, Digitech, Zoom, etc, have relatively inexpensive models you may want to try out.

I'm a total pedal fiend and lately my most essential pedal is an overdrive.

Which pedal depends on what kind of sound you want, how much gain, etc.

If you like midrange sounds and don't need high gain, I recommend some type of Tube Screamer. I don't really like the stock Ibanez ones too much, but I built a Maxon OD808 than I'm really enjoying. It's definitely the best Tube Screamer type I've tried so if you can scrape together the cash for the Maxon I don't think you'll be disappointed.

If you're looking for a real cheap pedal, check out the Joyo overdrive. I forgot what it's called but they're apparently pretty good and really cheap.

My recommendation is to skip the multifx junk and save up a bit more to get a pretty nice (not necessarily really expensive) pedal. The Wampler stuff is really nice and not too expensive.

Of course, I'd say a tuner, too, so plus one for that suggestion. But....

A delay (I like the Boss DD-7) a chorus and a distortion pedal are pretty much the three I like the most, but I am surprised no one mentioned a Wah!

Most major guitar stores have a BAPB (Big *** Pedal Board) set up so you can try many different pedals. Might be worth the trip so you can try a variety of pedals and decide which type/brand suits your ear.

Good Hunting!

Well I made a blind purchase on the bay and got a Joyo vintage overdrive and an Electro harmonix Holy grail reverb. Ill let you all know how I like them when I get them. Not the way I like to buy things like this but the price was right. Thanks for the suggestions. Already have a tuner.

For me an Ibanez Tube Screamer is a must have. I picked up a Seymour Duncan pickup booster pedal recently and this is an amazing piece of kit.It will beef up any single coil pickup Guitar. I'm looking to get myself a TC electronics polytune next......

If you want to work on your solo playing, it might be wise to look into getting a looper of some type. My Boss RC-2 was the 2nd pedal I got. I was so happy when I first got it because it made it so much easier to lay down rhythm tracks to play solos over. And now there is the RC-3 which is probably even better. There are other looper pedals as well. Look around, and try one out if you never have. You might like it. [biggrin]

Well at this point I think you haven't given us much to go on, like what amp are you using for starters.

If you're amp has 2 channels,, (clean and Gain and you're cool with those sounds) the only pedal I would probably say I'd need is a decent delay pedal. For example, a line 6 echo park. Very clean, musical, rugged, (power adapter is a PITA but beyond that it's a great delay).

This probably isn't going to be much help but for me... I'd be lost without my Boss Loop Station. Probably because I'm a bedroom rocker and without it, it's not too much fun jamming by myself all day. And who has a friend who'll play the same three chords for 45 minutes while you noodle over the top of them?

As far as actual effects pedals that I'd have a hard time living without... my T-Rex Replica would be right at the top of the list, though there are many delays that I could live with. I'm pretty keen on my Maxon Rotary Phaser and a Keeley Mod Tube Screamer... none of which I'd say are affordable pedals.

Having mentioned that you don't have reverb on your amp... that would drive me nuts but all my amps have it so it's not something I need a pedal for.

Another option, though again, not the most affordable, might be to consider a Line6 M5 stompbox modeler... it's 100 effects in one box. Now mind you, you can only use one at a time, but I have one for one and all the models I've used sound great. New they're about $200, used $125 and up... even new, that's only $2 an effect, how could you not afford to get one? [blink]

Like I said, probably not much help...

A pedal that's been indispensable to me is a good distortion/fuzz pedal.I've had my Big Muff Pi since about 1970 and even though I tried others I always came back to the Muff. With the old Muffs you could get either fuzz,distortion or a pretty clean volume boost depending on how you set it up.If I had to have only one pedal it would be a fuzz/distortion and much much preferably an old Big Muff Pi made between 1970 and 1975.

Thanks everyone. I think a loop may be in my near future. I have been working on learning some leads and I play by myself mostly so I do think that would be a great help.

I got the Joyo pedal today and I like it. I havent had a whole lot of time yet to really mess with it but I got about 15 minutes in with it and it gives a little growl I was looking for at lower volume. My valve junior sounds great cranked up all by itself but playing low I get pure clean, so I am happy to get that boost. My Holy Grail should be here tomorrow and I am excited to get some play time in with both of them.

I appreciate the tips. Feel free to keep them coming. Im sure I am not done yet [wink]

A little update, I got my second package yesterday. It seems they may have sent the wrong pedal. I bought and paid for the original Holy Grail and they sent me the Holy Grail Plus.I am not gonna complain because I love it. It has 4 reverb settings and one has a cool little flange to it. My favorite setting so far is the spring setting with the blend at 12:00 and the amount a few hairs below 12. It is my favorite effect of the 2 pedals. I am enjoying the pedal thing. [thumbup] I am still a sloppy amateur guitar player but I am really liking the flavor I can put in to my tone. It is a lot of fun. My little Epi Valve jr really shines with a little reverb too. Now I want more. Oh Jeez, this could get expensive [drool]

Archived